Parent Weekend keeps mom and pop busy

More than 600 people from around the country attended this year’s Parent and Family Weekend.

Bethany Vigil, Writer

This past weekend, more than 600 people from all over the country attended Parent and Family Weekend, which catered to siblings this year in addition to parents.

Parent Relations decided to emphasize siblings this year so some parents with high-school aged children who might consider the university could come, and so parents wouldn’t feel obligated to stay home with their teens. About 600 people came, around 25 more than were originally registered, according to Colleen Heykoop, director of parent relations.
Charlotte Foland, a freshman, enjoyed having her family from the San Francisco Bay Area visit and introducing them to her new friends.

“It’s fun having them stay and having them meet people and putting faces to names,” she said.

Among the many events for the weekend were opportunities for siblings to take a tour of the campus, hear about life at Biola, and have a sleepover with their attending siblings.
The first big event held for parent weekend was the Luau Lunch held on Metzger Lawn, where dozens of families congregated in the midday sun to visit their students and their students’ friends.

Parents also accompanied their students to classes and chapel. Foland said the message was great, with the worship team leading the students into worship.

“We went to chapel, which was fantastic,” said Lafayette Foland, Charlotte’s dad.
The family planned on taking a tour of the newly established Olive Grove and watching their daughter play flag football. Charlotte’s sister, Angela, said she enjoyed seeing the campus and visiting her sister’s dorm.

On Saturday, parents were able to go to the soccer games, watch intramural sports, have brunch with the president, enjoy a barbecue dinner, and meet some of their students’ professors.

The Lott family, from Simi Valley, came to visit their freshman son and brother, Morgan.

“It’s fun to come and visit,” said Melanie Lott, Morgan’s younger sister.
The Lott family had been planning on coming for parent weekend for a while, but didn’t attend many of the events, some of which were $8 and $12, too costly for four siblings, they said.

“We’re very pleased with the way the weekend turned out,” Heykoop said.
Next year, Parent Relations plans on emphasizing siblings again, Heykoop said. It’s also in the works to have more activities for even younger siblings.