Parent Weekend coming to Biola

This year it is called “Parent and Family Weekend,” and will have a bigger emphasis on siblings.

Alexandra Montiel, Writer

Biola is readying itself for the annual Parent and Family Weekend for Oct. 9-11, which this time will have a bigger emphasis on students’ siblings.

This year’s weekend will be the first to host sibling activities, and has already received a better response of families by adding four more sibling activities, said Colleen Heykoop, director of parent relations. Coordinators anticipate 200 families, meaning about 400 or more people, including siblings and other family members, according to Malory Rae, service coordinator. The numbers of guests for parent weekend typically increase or decrease each year, depending on the number of new enrolled students, Heykoop said.

“We really expected to have fewer this year because of the economy, but everything turned out well,” Heykoop said.

The weekend kicks off Friday at 8 a.m., when parents and family can register for activities, get information and pick up a schedule of classes. An open chapel will follow, where John Riley, lead pastor of student ministries at Whittier Area Community Church, will welcome all visiting families.

The accent activity on Friday will be the “Luau Lunch” on Metzger Lawn for families and faculty at 11:15 a.m.

The Caf will be closed for lunch that day to accommodate a Hawaiian-themed lunch on Metzger Lawn, Heykoop said. All students, faculty and parents are invited. Lunch will be a great opportunity for students to introduce their favorite professors to their parents. The meal will cost $8 for each family member and guest. Students on meal plans can present their ID cards to eat.

Heykoop especially encouraged students to participate in this particular activity, as there will be small crafts and “learn-how-to-dance-hula” workshops for siblings, a “fill-in-the-face” picture stand, and a dance performance by the Hula ministry.
Most of the activities need reservations, like Young Siblings Fun on the Field, Sibling University Life Info Session, and the Sibling Sleepover Kick-off Party. Students need to reserve these activities as soon as possible, as some are already full. Brunch with the President and the BBQ Dinner on Saturday aren’t accepting any more guests, Heykoop said.

“This time my mom is coming,” said freshman Tessa Myers. “I mean she has been here before, but she just wants to be part of this and she also wants to attend the concert on Saturday. … I think it will be great having her come visit, because she is seven hours away, so I guess it will be nice to see her.”

Nikkie Ciriza, a senior, said her parents aren’t coming.

“I’ve been here for a while and my parents pretty much know the campus already,” she said. “Also I think it would be different if they lived out of town, but they live fairly close to the school so they have been here already.”

The rest of the weekend will be packed with activities, tours, lunches and dinners, concerts and soccer games. This will also be an opportunity for students to get off the campus and enjoy the surrounding cities with parents and siblings.

“This is a great opportunity to introduce your friends to your parents and vice versa. … Now parents can put a face to the names of friends you have been talking about, and also a change to just relax and enjoy the campus and the activities,” Heykoop said.