Women’s soccer squeezes by Cal State San Marcos

Women’s soccer breaks though 1-0 against Cal State San Marcos after a mostly stalemated match.

Trevor Stewart, Writer

The Eagles hosted No. 23 ranked Cal State San Marcos this past Friday night at Al Barbour field, looking to make a statement against a ranked opponent.

It was a hard fought but slow paced game as there were only 12 total shots between the two teams, each putting three shots apiece on goal.

Biola had an opportunity to take the lead in the 41st minute as senior midfielder Kahlie Reinecke gathered a loose ball in the box and fired a low line drive shot beating the Cal State San Marcos goalkeeper, but unfortunately watched it hit off the post and careen out.

Cal State San Marcos had their own misfortune as they too had a shot ricochet off the goal frame just three minutes later as Arielle Cohen fired one off the crossbar in the 44th minute.

The game would remain deadlocked in a scoreless tie going into halftime and it was anyone’s game for the taking as the second half began.

The second half mirrored the first half – limited chances with no results from either team. It was a battle of the midfield as both teams were attempting to make the push into their opponent’s attacking third and break the game open with a goal.

The Eagles finally broke the stalemate in the 84th minute as junior Sam David headed home a cross off the foot of senior Amy Atkinson giving Biola the 1-0 lead.

That is all the Eagles goalkeeper sophomore Erin Frushon would need, as her three saves would be enough for her to earn her fifth shutout of the season and seal the victory for Biola.

The 5-1-1 record is the Eagles’ best start to a season since 2002 when Biola went 14-0-1 to start the season en route to a berth in the NAIA Quarterfinals.

Biola returns to action on Wednesday, traveling to Santa Barbara to face Westmont College in a GSAC match at 3:00 p.m.