Men’s soccer continues record winning streak

Men’s soccer team rock San Diego Christian 6-0, continuing their historic winning streak.

Following Biola men’s soccer sixth straight victory on a humid Saturday afternoon, the ambiance of the team was all sweat and smiles. The Eagles improve to 6-0-0 overall and 1-0-0 in GSAC play as they continue their hot start with a shutout victory against the San Diego Christian Hawks (3-4-0, 0-1-0). The final score was 6-0 as both teams kicked off their first GSAC match of the season.

Off to its best start in school history, Biola has now outscored its opponents 28-0 for the season. When asked about the main reason to Biola’s superb start to the 2009 season, Captain Kennedy Chongo replied, “Teamwork. We’ve had some injuries but our teammates are always there to pick each other up.”

The scoring frenzy started early for the Eagles when senior forward, Humberto Toscan found the back of the net in the third minute thanks in part to a great cross by sophomore midfielder, Zach Bautista.

In the 36th minute, the Hawks had a chance to get on the board when sophomore forward, Emmanuel Onywera had a one-on-one opportunity against Biola’s sophomore keeper, Aaron Fenlason. Fenlason was able to turn away Onywera’s strike with an amazing stop to preserve Biola’s sixth shutout in a row. Biola’s 540 minutes without giving up a goal is the longest streak to start a season in school history. Following the game, Fenlason contributed the amazing streak to what he considers, “hard work during practice and an amazing defense.”

The Eagles managed to add to their lead in the 40th minute when senior forward, J.P. Robles tapped home his first goal of the season on a cross from senior defender, Shalom Bako. Bako finished the night with two assists giving him a total of four for the season.
Biola’s defense prevented the Hawks from having much opportunity throughout the game as the Eagles went into the half outnumbering the Hawks 11-1 on shots on goal.

The game’s physicality picked up in the second half as the refs whistled 16 fouls including three yellow cards to three different Hawks players within a span of 13 minutes.

Nevertheless, Biola continued its offensive mindset as they dominated play in the second half. In the 48th minute, sophomore forward Marco Ruvalcaba contributed to the offensive outburst thanks in part to a great through ball by Toscan. Ruvalcaba managed to weave his way through San Diego’s defense before finding the back of the net for the fourth time this season.

Graham Foster and Derek Friehe added goals in the 73rd and the 79th minute respectively. Biola’s crossing game was superb as five of its six goals game from crosses.

Then, in the 88th minute, Toscan added his second goal of the night and his fourth of the season when he headed home a corner kick from sophomore midfielder, Tony Montalvo.
Following the shutout victory, a delighted Head Coach, Bryan Kuderman contributed the success of the team to the assistant coaches. The Eagles look to add to their hot start as they face Cal Baptist (1-2-3) on the road next Wed., September, 30th.