Opposing Viewpoints: Should freshmen date?

Two writers give opposite viewpoints on a pivotal undergrad issue: Should freshmen date?

Don’t date! (At least not your freshman year)

By Jennifer Northway

Though you are finally out from under your parent’s roof and cannot wait to explore your dating options you might want to consider some of the reason to wait till after your freshman year.

1. Girls the ratio is not looking too good for you. So why compete in this madhouse race for a boy? We should be making them come to us. And guys with so many different girls do you really think that you should limit yourselves? Wait a year or two.
  2. You could end up dating the stalker boy/girl that will continue to call you or randomly show up outside your room at three in the morning for the remainder of your time here.
  3. Nobody really knows anything about who they are during their freshman year, so how could you know who your perfect match is? (And if you think you do, you don’t.)
  4. With school, chapels, intramurals, and a social life, why add more work and stress to your life?
  5. You could wind up with your heart smashed like the crumbled remnants of a cereal box.
    6.Some of the other freshmen are kind of creepy.
  6. If things don’t work out the first few times around, you might get named the “Biola wench” that will hold hands with everyone. A title like that could follow you the rest of your life.
  7. Though this is an outrageous possibility there could be some good guys/girls outside of Biola, maybe (heaven forbid) even better.
  8. You could end up dating your future pastor, how awkward would that be during future sermons?
  9. You might end up dating someone then realize that they have a more attractive, smarter, and richer older brother/sister.
  10. Imagine all the money you would have to spend on your significant other; at your poor college student state you would probably have to forgo putting money on your laundry card to sustain your lover’s happiness.
  11. You could become completely oblivious to any other living thing in the near vicinity.
  12. If all of these points failed to persuade you in the tragedy of dating freshman year consider this: Jesus never dated!

Freshmen, date away!

By: Gavin Kirkwood

Students are often advised not to date during their freshman year. In response to this atrocity, I have come up with many reasons why dating is acceptable and should be encouraged during freshman year.

1. Sooner or later, everyone will be looking for their future spouse and if you wait too long you risk being stuck with “the weird one.”
  2. Between all the dances Biola offers, you may want a steady dance partner.
  3. Miley Cyrus was born in 1992 and she thinks dating is okay. How could someone like Miley Cyrus be wrong?
  4. If there is anything the mainstream American media has taught us, it’s that money and relationships are the perfect fit to any important void we feel in our soul.
  5. Have you ever been to the movies alone? Not fun.
  6. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot get pregnant just by holding hands.
  7. Many successful marriages in popular movies have been built upon “love at first sight” infatuations and why would someone make a movie that isn’t true?
  8. As much as your parents may love you, they would probably love you a lot more if you brought a boyfriend/girlfriend home for the holidays.
  9. All the “cool” people date and it is scientifically proven that when you start off somewhere new it is in your best interest that you imitate the “cool” people.
  10. After being in a few solid relationships, those sad British break-up songs will actually mean something to you.
  11. Dating is a very good excuse as to why you didn’t do your homework — your professors are sure to understand and let you turn in your assignments late.
  12. Candlelit dinners don’t taste as good if you are eating them alone.
  13. Plenty of characters in scary movies have romantic relationships and it always works out for them, right?