Biola media students must strive to excel

Biola art and media students beary the heavy burden of representing Biola – and Christ – in their competitive and often dark industries.

Sit down, grab a drink, and any possible media outlet or electronic device near you.

Welcome home, media consumer.

With the simple flick of the thumb, a slight click of a mouse, or the touch of a button, any person in any first-world country can stream live videos, watch YouTube, or read a recent tweet from any notable or very unnoticeable amount of Twitter users (twitter.com/mattfier).

The “iGen” generation has moved so quickly through American culture, that media artists and practitioners are struggling to reach the minds of those who are quickly consumed by 140 character tweets.

Next up to bat in the Web-revolutionized war are the Biola heavy hitters. We hope to have a grand-slam performance representing our proud university in a land that is known for cheap entertainment, eating disorders and porn stars. We do this not only to show the world that Christians can make a difference in the entertainment and news industry, but furthermore to represent our Savior, by learning together to live like Christ as news reporters, screen-play writers, camera crews, producers, and the like.

As Biola students produce award-winning media through outlets such as our weekly newspaper, our magazine, or our video productions, we bear the responsibility to be a light in a subconscious world of darkness, that is overwhelmingly becoming more of a reality every day. It’s up to us to do our best to rival not only the schools in the Golden State, but also universities that ring bigger bells in peoples’ minds than the ones on our very own beloved Bell Tower, such as Notre Dame and Harvard.

We try our best to rival them in not only technicalities, but in style and in truth, because ultimately, we represent more than Biola University, but also we represent Jesus Christ, a shining Light to people of every nation and tongue.

Biola media teams try to take the road less traveled. Eventually we will leave this campus, and enter into the world where our skill sets will be spread among hopefully every continent in this world. Every time we sit at our MacBooks, or (God forbid!) our PCs, editing a movie or typing a story out for the next publication, whether here at Biola, or around the world, we will do our best to give the world a glowing example of Christ’s love and why Biola is special.

It can be seen from the YouTube video “Why Biola Rocks,” or through the reports from a certain recent grad that now works at the Associated Press, and from every other facet of learning here at Biola.

There are professionals in every area of the workforce, from MLB players, to major motion picture directors and screen writers, to pastors and missionaries, all bearing the same responsibility: carry the cross of Jesus into this world of darkness.

As we start the 2009-2010 school year, whether it be your first, last, or continuation of multiple last years (and hopefully not your 6th or 7th years), remember our duties and have some fun, and lets try to fight back against the most important battle, the War on Death.

Can we handle it?