Freshmen athletes balance books, balls and Bible studies

In addition to the normal load of new burdens for college students, freshmen athletes have a demanding commitment to a sports team.

Among freshmen, there are those for whom the college life is not quite busy enough.
The regiment of church, classes, homework, ministry involvement, new surroundings, perhaps a job, not to mention some semblance of a social life, is not rigorous enough to cause migraines. Instead they add to the usual load of backpacks, book bags, and laptops yet another item, a gym bag. They are freshmen athletes, and these are their stories.

When asking the freshmen of our fall sports teams for some of their feelings about starting college while concurrently participating in sports, Janae O’Connor, who is an outside hitter and defensive specialist of the volleyball team, admitted that finding the balance between school and sports has been a challenge, “Along with playing volleyball, I am also in Torrey which makes life even more hectic with all that reading.” I was momentarily taken aback by this revelation. It takes a remarkably driven individual to excel in the classroom at the Torrey Honors Institute level, excel on the court where Janae has earned regular playing time for the Eagles, and maintain a relationship with friends, and especially her loving Creator.

During an interview with the Cross Country team, including the women who are ranked 3rd in the NAIA, Coach Zimmerman and his team repeatedly gave credit for the freshmen’s immediate acclimation to the strong upperclassmen leadership. When asked how the freshmen learned to balance their lives between sports and school, freshmen Holly Kopp said, “We were each assigned an upperclassman buddy, and they helped us get used to managing our time. “When the freshmen were asked what the hardest thing was about learning time management, they responded almost in unison, “SLEEP!”

Freshman Brooklyn Brumund went on to say, “You have to recover and you have to sleep or it won’t be pretty tomorrow.” How does the schedule affect their spiritual lives? Kopp and Brumund talked about the upper classmen setting a godly example. They told a story of one time in practice when, during an especially difficult run, junior Sarah Brooks shouted, “God is our strength!” It is this kind of example that helps them build the responsible habits that will prevent the backsliding that is so often a result, albeit a preventable result of college life.

So why do they do it? Erica Crawford, a defenseman for the women’s soccer team said, “It’s a good way of getting connected to other people at Biola, since you’re able to get to know the girls pretty well before school starts. “Her teammate and fellow freshmen Emily MacLaren added, “The girls on the team are really nice which also helps make the transition easier.”

The men’s cross-country freshmen explained why they work themselves ragged during what should be the most memorable years of their lives. Billy Vetter responded, “We all have a passion for running. The first day of practice you could see it.” Spencer Lyle added, “Being away from home, and struggling with these guys, we are a kind of family.”

Coach Zimmerman interjected that, unlike high school where all cross-country runners compete at three miles, in college the men run five. This new distance means the men are running farther than they have in their lives. And a bond is forged through these struggles.

Coach Zimmerman, women’s soccer coach Elkins and women’s volleyball Head Coach Seltzer all agreed on what they look for in freshmen, beyond their purely athletic talent. They all spoke of character, responsibility, and a walk with Christ. Coach Elkins said, “I look for a desire to attend Biola. Instead of usual recruiting which is to convince the player to come to the school, we are looking for girls who want to be at Biola.”

Coach Seltzer said, “Before they sign, we make sure they know why they are choosing Biola. They know they are not just coming to play volleyball, but to serve the Lord.”

The Biola men’s soccer team has a freshmen defenseman, Colby Roberts, who is a brand new believer and is experiencing a Christian education for the first time. He repeatedly said how blessed he felt just being on campus and in God-centered classes, not to mention on a team with guys who want to play for the Lord.

Roberts coach, Bryan Kuderman, described the kind of character traits he sees in the freshmen, Coach Kuderman responded, “Just by getting in, I know they have good character.” He went on to say how difficult it is finding talented men who also measure up to Biola’s spiritual admissions standards. He said, “I lose recruits to that every year, so the ones who get in, I know they have character.”

Colby used the phrase “missionary team” to describe the atmosphere he has found with the Eagles. “We play other teams, and they see a difference. We have something else.” He said, because he plays for God now, his growth spiritually and athletically are intertwined and he understands now that what he has in God given ability. That seems true for all the freshmen athletes.

As Coach Seltzer said, “They know they are not just coming to play. These young men and women are at Biola to serve the Lord, and if, in the process, they win a few games, all the glory goes to Him”.