Four things a Biolan must do

In a world of choices, why did you choose Biola? Was it the fountain, the bell tower or the really nice track field elevated above the parking lot? … There are four essential activities that all Biola students must participate in before graduating.

George Garcia, Writer

In a world of choices, why did you choose Biola? Was it the fountain, the bell tower or the really nice track field elevated above the parking lot? Several things help Biola stand out among other institutions. There are four essential activities that all Biola students must participate in before graduating.

1. Biola is uniquely placed in the quiet city of La Mirada. One positive aspect of Biola’s location is its close proximity to Disneyland. According to MapQuest, Biola is just about 13 minutes from the park. Disneyland can offer students a much needed break from tests, homework and school in general. The atmosphere of the park alone has the ability to give students a sense of peace and happiness. Sophomore Natalie Alvarez, an art major, is one Biola student who is taking full advantage of the short distance. Natalie goes to Disneyland at least once a week. When asked why she goes to Disneyland so often, she said, “It’s fun and carefree and it has a great atmosphere.” The current economic state may make it very difficult to go to Disneyland as often, but everyone can go at least once a year; their birthdays. Disneyland offers everyone the opportunity to enter the park for free on their birthday.

2. Biola recently inaugurated its eighth president. President Corey, commonly known as DBC, has made himself a friend to many students. He often dines with students, sets up times to hang out with students at Commons and gives a friendly smile to those walking by.him. Corey has become a role model at Biola and is loved by students, becoming more than just a president but becoming a friend to them. Julie Fox, a graduating senior, had this to say: “I believe that it would be beneficial to me to spend some time with Corey, perhaps over lunch, and ask him if he has any advice for Christians who plan to serve the Lord in the secular business world.” David Steiner enthusiastically offered this comment: “My time at Biola will never bet complete until I have a meal with DBC because he is awesome.”

3. Biola offers a variety of clubs, ministries and other fun, campus-wide activities. Despite these fun activities, at some point during the college experience homework will pile up above students’ heads. This ultimately means pulling an all-nighter is inevitable. It does not matter where you turn or where you try to hide, eventually an all-nighter will find you. But all-nighters are not always bad. Sophomore Mindy Leyvas is not really affected by them. Mindy averages anywhere between three to six hours of sleep a night.

“To me I need [all-nighters] to get things done,” she said. “And I almost always end up falling asleep at some point and then waking up again and working. It usually doesn’t hit me how tired I am until the afternoon.”

All-nighters provide extra time to do homework and make the college experience whole.

1. SMU offers many opportunities to travel on missions trips with fellow Biolans. Missions trips can be set up for summer, spring break, interterm, and winter break. Missions trips are vital for people, especially students. These short term trips allow students to see the need for laborers in other countries. Sophomore Alain Datcher explained why he likes these trips.
    “Missions trips are important because they allow us to be doers of the Word and serve,” he said. “To be the hands and feet of Christ.”

These four things may be so essential that you may not be allowed to graduate without fulfilling them. All four of these activities help make Biola unique. The Biola experience would not be complete without these four activities on your college resume.