Highlights of the March 26 AS Presidential Debate

AS presidential candidates Mark Heath and Cameron Spencer had a duel of words Thursday at the AS presidential debate. Moderating the discussion was Peter Van Elswyk, president of Biola’s debate team. He questioned the candidates based on their responses to a form they filled out before the debate. The form asked several questions about how they would lead AS as president.

unknown

At the AS Presidential Debate, candidate Cameron Spencer listens to opponent Mark Health answer the question given to him regarding Biola’s choice to host the Hitchens Apologetic Debate. *Photographer: Kelsey Heng*

AS presidential candidates Mark Heath and Cameron Spencer had a duel of words Thursday at the AS presidential debate.

Moderating the discussion was Peter Van Elswyk, president of Biola’s debate team. He questioned the candidates based on their responses to a form they filled out before the debate. The form asked several questions about how they would lead AS as president.

The presidential candidates’ debate was followed by a debate between the two vice presidential candidates, Justin De Vesta (running with Heath) and Shannon Tierney (running with Spencer).

Here is a selection of issues discussed during the presidential candidates’ debate, along with a brief mention of each candidate’s position.

• How should AS use technology for communicating?

Spencer advocated diversifying technology and creating more venues by which students can communicate.

Heath said he wants to better utilize existing technology, which he said is diversified already.

• Committee for Social Action

Spencer proposed doubling the budget for this recent addition to AS if the budget allowed.

Heath said he would cut CSA in the event of a budget shortage, as others could absorb the branch’s duties if necessary.

• Academic and Religious Relations

Spencer proposed merging Academic and Religious Relations with the AS chapel board if necessary, which he said could bridge the gap between students’ majors and missions work.

Heath proposed retaining the program, saying chapel board and academic and religious relations are two distinct groups that would be difficult to combine.

• The Christopher Hitchens debate and other outside speaker invitations

Heath said inviting outside speakers like Hitchens should be a priority because it strengthens Biola’s reputation. He also said much learning can happen outside the classroom, and it’s up to students to take advantage of that. “A better name for Biola is better for every graduate,” he said.

Spencer argued that more sources outside of AS should have been utilized for fundraising for the “Does God Exist?” debate on April 4 – especially considering AS budget shortcomings. He said the event will benefit outsiders more than students.

• Community service projects

Heath advocated reinstating mandatory service projects for students, a process he said is conducive to spiritual growth. “That puts you in a better position for God to grow you,” he said.

Spencer disagreed with mandatory service projects. “That’s not serving with a heart of service,” said Spencer. “That’s serving because it’s a requirement.”

• Jesus mural

Heath said he would approach the touchy subject of the controversial Jesus Mural “very carefully.” Assessing the percentage of students offended by the mural would determine his course of action.

Spencer said he would take action if just one student took offense. “We need to make that voice heard,” he said.

• Big projects

Spencer said he would invite employers on campus for more career fairs, as well as improve relations with alumni, who could help students get jobs or internships.

Heath said he would work on establishing a “centralized interdepartmental center” on campus for addressing a variety of cultural issues.