On-campus political niches celebrate and grieve election results (Video)

When Sen. Barack Obama was officially declared the next president of the United States, heads dropped in the Caf banquet room. Hundreds of students slipped in and out of the Biola College Republican club’s election watching party all night.

unknown

Taylor Horky, freshman, Steven Moulton, sophomore, and Ethan Stupfel, freshman, discuss their predictions of the soon to be announced president at the Biola College Republican event in the Caf Banquet Room. Photo by Christina Schantz

When Sen. Barack Obama was officially declared the next president of the United States, heads dropped in the Caf banquet room.

“We’re obviously saddened by the results,” said Nick Griepsma, vice president of the Biola College Republicans, draping his arm around John Sirjord, the president of the club. “Hopefully the Republican Party is still able to actively defend what they think is important.”

Hundreds of students slipped in and out of the Biola College Republican club’s election watching party all night, sipping soda and eating sandwiches as they watched the election results come in. While early in the night spirits were high, when major media outlets declared Obama the winner around 8 p.m., it was all hugging and consoling.

The mood was much different in the Talon, where a small group of Biola College Democrats passed out cake and celebrated their candidate’s victory. Athena Fleming, the club’s president and an Obama campaign worker, between hugs and phone calls, tried to put her thoughts into words.

“So many words. This is a good day. It tells a lot about our country,” she said.

Though there was plenty of food, beverages and people to keep them distracted, several attendees of the Biola College Republicans had electoral maps open on their laptop to supplement the continuing stream of information coming from the cable news stations. Others sat around table discussing the night’s prospects.

“This is the most important decision the nation has made in the past four years,” said junior Cameron Spencer, one of those following the results on the Internet.

Sirjord said the size of the election night party, which at times left only standing room, was a good indication of how the presidential election has gotten more Biolans interested in politics. He said his club has been about “engaging the campus,” and is pleased Fleming began a Democrat club this year.

“When you’re the only club it leads to unproductive discussion,” he said.

The amiable relations between the two parties were shown in more than just words. Shortly after Obama was declared the winner, several members of the Biola College Republicans came to the Talon to congratulate Fleming.

Fleming said her work with the Obama campaign has given her some ownership of his victory.

“Now I feel like I’ve done something,” she said.