Rocking the youth vote

If projections are correct, young voters will have a larger than ever impact on the outcome of November’s general election. The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement reported the national turnout rate for youth voters rose from 9 percent in the 2000 primaries to 17 percent in this past spring’s primaries, likely indicating increased participation in the General Election.
Voter guides and proposition information sheets have been arriving all around campus in recent weeks.   Photo by Kelsey Heng
Voter guides and proposition information sheets have been arriving all around campus in recent weeks. Photo by Kelsey Heng
Photo courtesy of unknown

If projections are correct, young voters will have a larger than ever impact on the outcome of November’s general election.

There are about 44 million U.S. citizens between the ages of 18 and 29, according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s latest figures. The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement reported the national turnout rate for youth voters rose from 9 percent in the 2000 primaries to 17 percent in this past spring’s primaries, likely indicating increased participation in the General Election.

According to a recent Pew Research Center poll, 87 percent of these young voters claim to be “interested in national affairs.”

However, interest doesn’t necessarily translate into actual participation, said John Sirjord, president of Biola College Republicans. He said the most important thing “is translating enthusiasm and interest into actual voting at the polls.”

Athena Fleming, president of Biola College Democrats, said students are just not as informed as they should be.

“I am surprised at the number of students who are not familiar with the candidates, let alone the issues,” said Fleming. “As the future of our country we should be interested in what is going on because we have the ability to let our voices be heard and make a difference.”

Both Sirjord and Fleming have been actively trying to combat political apathy on-campus. Recently they held a nonpartisan debate watching party that was attended by 50 students.

Nationally, numerous initiatives have been launched to target young people. Campus Compact, a coalition of over 900 college and university presidents committed to civic awareness, Smackdown Your Vote, an informative nonpartisan group and “18 in ’08,” a documentary about young voters, are among them.

Political groups have begun using sites like Facebook and Myspace, taking advantage of the monumental youth presence online. Seventy-five-year-old non-profit group Young Democrats of America has a Facebook page with over 1,300 fans. Its rival, Young Republicans, has one with over 2,000 fans.

Rockthevote.com, a Web site especially targeted at 18 to 29-year-olds, also focuses on reaching this vast demographic of potential voters. Rock the Vote’s goal is “to engage and build the political power of young people in order to achieve progressive change in our country,” according to its mission statement online.

Rock the Vote’s Web site offers details on initiatives like political road trips and voter registration. It even gives tips on registering to vote through the Xbox360. Over 2 million have registered to vote through Rock the Vote, making it the nation’s largest youth voter registration group.

Matt Appenfeller, Rock the Vote’s field organizer for California, Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada, said that youth are a “huge voting block” and are very politically active.

“They’re incredibly engaged in politics,” said Appenfeller. “Whatever candidate wins those voters is going to win the election.”

Sirjord said he wants students to know what’s on the line this election.

“The next president will likely choose three Supreme Court Justices, who will determine the future of America in ethical issues … for decades to come,” said Sirjord.

Both Fleming and Sirjord said the upcoming presidential election is crucial for the nation’s future.

“This is our country, our president, and our votes will put him in office,” said Fleming.