Music at Noon provides relaxing afternoons

Last Wednesday, the sound of smooth bass riffs and snare rolls reverberated through campus as the first Music at Noon was held near the SUB, featuring music from “Rique Pantoja and Friends,” a Los Angeles area Christian jazz group.
Rique Pantoja and Friends were the performers for the weekly Music at Noon concert, located on the lawn in front of the SUB, that happened at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 17.   Photo by Mike Villa
Rique Pantoja and Friends were the performers for the weekly Music at Noon concert, located on the lawn in front of the SUB, that happened at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 17. Photo by Mike Villa
Photo courtesy of Mike Villa

Yesterday, the series continued with a tuba recital by Chuck Koontz, accompanied by Brian Hanke on piano.

Music at Noon, presented by the conservatory of music, will be held nearly every Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. all year. It is usually held in the concert recital hall, but a few concerts are outdoors so that students can get a feel for the music in a more familiar environment, said Kathy Little, administrative assistant for the conservatory of music. Little helps organize the events.

“We want to invite anybody who wants to come and enjoy music,” she said. “We hope that people would take the opportunity and see for themselves how great a series it is.”

Little said that this year’s Music at Noon is similar to last year’s but that each year features different performers. Little chooses performers for Music at Noon from Biola faculty, area professional musicians, conservatory students and others who are asking to perform.

Students responded positively to the first Music at Noon of the year.

“It brings people together, you don’t have to go somewhere,” said freshman When Mu. “It’s like the band coming to us instead of us going to somewhere.”

One student just liked the break the music offered her.

“I love that they are having a random concert in the middle of the week,” said freshman Paige Wilker. “It’s refreshing.”

Even staff members appreciated the event.

“Every student in this school should come,” said Don Bernstein, manager of the Biola Fund. “To have them perform for us is a real treat.”

Upcoming performances:

• Blue Rose Trio: Oct. 1

• Rob Watson, Piano: Oct. 8

• Simon Shiao, Violin and Li-Shan Hung, Piano: Oct. 15

• Biola Symphonic Winds Youth Concert: Nov. 5

• Caroline Oltmans, Piano: Nov. 12

• Music for String Bass and Free Bass Accordion: Nov. 19

• Pacific Harp Ensemble: Dec. 3