Intramurals kick into gear

The semester is now getting into full swing, the professors are piling on the homework, students are pulling all-nighters, and Common Grounds is becoming busier in the late evening hours. But there is something that students can look forward to without the pressure of academics: intramurals.

Mike Villa

Abraham Christian attacks the opposing team in Chase Gymnasium at an intramural game as he propels his team, Team Zissou, to a well-fought victory. Photo by Shalom Bako

The fall semester intramural seasons have begun with training sessions and games within the last week. The brackets have been composed and the teams are ready to go. The fall semester intramural sports include football, volleyball, ultimate Frisbee and dodge ball.

The AS intramural board is expecting a good response from students for this year’s intramural sports. The newest, dodge ball, has generated a huge response from the Biola community.

“We got a pretty good response from dodge ball,” said Sam Ellis, director of intramural sports. “We had more teams sign up for dodge ball than last semester.”

The AS intramural board has been working hard and has made some significant changes in order to better serve the students and improve the intramural program for all students to be able to participate in it.

The prices for having an intramural team have decreased from last year. The intramural board has lowered prices to make the sports more affordable for students.

“We cut the prices down this year by a significant amount,” said Ellis. “We did it so we could get more participation throughout the school.”

The importance of intramural sports has been to allow students and faculty alike to take a break from the pressures of classes and participate in an environment they may have always wanted to be a part of.

“I think intramurals is important because it brings a lot of students together around the school and allows them to compete in friendly competition,” Ellis said.