Getting to know your transfer athletes

Josh Miller is a transfer student from Chino Hills, Calif. He has transferred from the University of San Diego where he played basketball. Kennedy Chongo is a transfer student from Lusaka, Zambia. He transferred from Trinity International University and is now on Biola’s men’s soccer team.

unknown

Josh Miller, a transfer from the University of San Diego and Kennedy Chongo, who transferred from Trinity International University both have joined the athletic teams of Biola this year.

Josh Miller is a transfer student from Chino Hills, Calif. He has transferred from the University of San Diego where he played basketball.
Kennedy Chongo is a transfer student from Lusaka, Zambia. He transferred from Trinity International University and is now on Biola’s men’s soccer team.

How old are you?
JM: I’m 20, turning 21 in March.
KC: [I’m] 21 years old.

Why Biola?
JM: I felt a real connection when I visited here. I really enjoyed the players and the coaching staff.
KC: It proved to be a better school than Trinity in many ways, such as its academic recognition in the country, the size of the school, its geographical location as well as the climate.

Major? Plans after graduating?
JM: Kinesiology. Maybe something with physical therapy when I graduate.
KC: Math. Teach anywhere else outside my country and then go back.

What church do you go to?
JM: I have recently started attending The River in Tustin. My teammate Danny Campbell brought me there.
KC: There is no specific church yet, but I have been to Grace and a few others.

Have you enjoyed Biola (the team/playing the sport)?
JM: So far? Yeah. I love it. Lots of fun.
KC: Absolutely. I am feeling much [more] comfortable and I am liking this place more and more.

What are you looking forward to the most on your team?
JM: Getting to know my teammates and having the experiences only found from playing the game.
KC: Spiritual maturity and an awareness to all little details both on and off the field. The team bond so far is great. I just want us (the team) to represent the school in all areas and build long lasting friendships.

How are you doing juggling sports, school, and a social life?
JM: Not too bad. Chemistry is killing me but I’m starting to get the hang of it.
KC: So far I am doing good and I don’t think am having any problems at all handling all that. At least am able to find time to do homework and, besides that, time to socialize.

How do you incorporate your faith into your sport?
JM: I try to be a leader and encourage my teammates.
KC: With an awareness that soccer is a very competitive game where usually the best team always wins, discipline is my main key whether we are losing or winning. As the matter of fact, winning with the worst character doesn’t pose any godly character, but losing with the best character, attitude and reaction can transform the world. I consider the field an opportunity to minister God’s character.

What motivates you the most while you play your sport?
JM: Try to get better everyday and see how good you can get.
KC: The God-given ability to play soccer, my desire to improve always, my dedication and hard work to play the game, and also my desire to always set an example for others.

Who was your hero growing up (or now)?
JM: My grandfather. He still is.
KC: My mom. She used to work very hard and she was so dedicated to her sport (netball) from which she received a lot of rewards and honors.

Any hidden talents?
JM: None that I know of right now.
KC: An ability to learn any sport easily and be good at it.

Hobbies?
JM: Playing video games and hanging out with friends.
KC: Traveling, shopping, et cetera.

What sport is your favorite other than your own?
JM: Football.
KC: Basketball.

Favorite food?
JM: Pizza. Definitely Papa John’s pizza.
KC: Nshima with chicken and vegetables.

What are you doing on a Friday night if you aren’t playing your sport?
JM: Hanging out with my friends. Watching a movie. You name it.
KC: Hang out with friends or relax and do some other things besides schoolwork.

Do you have a job during the season? If so what?
JM: Nope. I’m unemployed.
KC: No! Not yet, actually just looking for one.

What is something you are most looking forward to this season/semester?
JM: Getting to play. I can’t wait.
KC: I want to have a very good season soccer-wise as well as spiritually and academically, where if look back I should be able to say that indeed God brought me to this place.

As you can see, transfer student athletes are different from new incoming athletes. Each athlete is looking forward to playing on a new team and representing their God at Biola. Let’s make an effort to support each transfer athlete this semester and show them they came to the right place.