Late goal sinks women’s soccer

Women's soccer loses a close contest on the road.

Kyle Kohner/THE CHIMES

Kyle Kohner/THE CHIMES

Kyle Kohner/THE CHIMES

Carter Baumgartner, Writer

With only five games remaining in the regular season, Biola University traveled to Irvine, Calif. to face the Concordia University Irvine Eagles. The visitors continued their search for their first PacWest road win of the year while also looking to keep themselves in the contention for postseason play. Concordia forward Carmony Jones scored the only goal with five minutes left to play, giving Biola little chance of a comeback. The hosts would hold on to win 1-0 as Biola’s search for a PacWest road victory continues.

LABATE MISSES HUGE CHANCE

The match featured very few chances for either side in the first half, with Biola registering only one shot on goal and Concordia failing to hit the target. With the action mainly in the midfield, neither team managed to impose their will on the match.

The second half saw a big step up in urgency from both teams, with sophomore goalkeeper Christina Rodriguez making her first save of the match less than three minutes into the second half. Senior forward Samantha Verduzco forced a save from Concordia goalkeeper Kaelyn Whitcomb in the 52nd minute, but neither team could find the breakthrough goal.

As the half progressed, both teams created even more scoring chances, but no chance was better than when Biola sophomore forward Paula-Marie Labate had three shots in a row in the 66th minute. A Concordia defender blocked her first shot, Whitcomb saved her second shot and the third shot flew high over the goal.

CONCORDIA GETS LATE GOAL TO SINK EAGLES

That missed chance proved vital as Concordia would capitalize in the 85th minute. While many Biola players pushed forward, Concordia counterattacked, and quick passing released Jones one-on-one with Rodriguez with the forward chipping her shot over the diving goalkeeper to give the hosts a late 1-0 lead.

Biola still had some fight left in them, earning a corner kick in the 87th minute, which senior midfielder Ashley Ramirez launched into the box. Junior defender Madyson Brown got on the end of the corner kick and headed it towards the goal, but Whitcomb dove to claw the ball away from her net. Biola could not create anymore chances, falling to Concordia 1-0.

Biola falls to 9-3-1 on the season (5-3-1 in PacWest). They return home to face California Baptist University at Al Barbour Field on Oct. 23. Biola has won all seven home matches this year and will look to keep that record unblemished against their most difficult opponent of the season.