Women’s golf records firsts in Arizona

An individual victory led to a great two days for men’s and women’s golf.

Austin Green, Writer

Women’s golf turned in another stellar performance at Embry-Riddle University of Arizona’s Co-Ed invite, taking home the team title as well as the top two individual spots. Their male counterparts also fared well in the two teams’ first joint event of the year, finishing seventh overall.

Sophomores Tori Roeske and Jules Loibl’s performances elevated the Eagles to their first invitational championship as a team since 2015, but what happened in the third round overshadowed all that. Competing for the first time in her collegiate career, freshman Sophia Karnazes recorded a hole-in-one on the sixth hole. It marked the first hole-in-one in Biola women’s golf history, putting an exclamation point in the Eagles’ best outing in years.

Roeske won the women’s individual title with a total score of 225. She shot a 77 in her first round, a 75 in her second round and a 73 in her third round to close out the victory. Loibl fell just short of tying Roeske’s score, tying her in the first two rounds but recording one stroke higher in round three to finish at 226. The Eagles sealed their team title thanks to freshman Marcel Manolo, sophomore Alexis Gopfert and Karnazes, who all finished within the top 15.

While underclassmen propelled the women, the men mainly relied on veterans to carry them. Biola’s “golf dads” finished sixth out of eight competing teams, led by junior Austin Bishop who tied for eighth in the individual leaderboard with a total score of 222. Senior Samuel Shih finished four strokes back of Bishop, tying for 13th with a score of 226. Senior Cameron Bauer and junior Dominic Ariondo each made dramatic improvements in the third round to finish tied at 32nd after shooting 235 over the entire invitational.

Women’s golf’s wildly successful season will continue at the National Christian College Athletic Association National Championships on Oct. 23-25. The men will return to action in a scrimmage tournament against former conference foes Hope International University on Oct. 19.