Women’s soccer continues perfect start

The Eagles secured a 2-0 home victory over Cal State San Marcos.

Kyle Kohner/THE CHIMES

Carter Baumgartner, Writer

Biola University hosted the Cal State San Marcos Cougars for the team’s first home match of the season. After a back and forth first 30 minutes, senior forward Samantha Verduzco dribbled past the Cougars’ goalkeeper and easily shot the ball into the net. The Eagles scored again just 30 seconds later thanks to a chipped goal from sophomore forward Annmarie Alvarez. The home team held strong defensively for the rest of the match to see out a 2-0 victory.

Verduzco has scored in all three matches so far this season, leading the Eagles with three goals.

“We do whatever we can to keep [Verduzco] confident and hungry,” said head coach Erin Brunelle. “She’s been a player that has started out well every season of her career.”

Verduzco got on the end of a pass from sophomore midfielder Hali Oakes before putting the ball in an open net in the 31st minute. Moments later, Oakes found Alvarez behind the defense, allowing the forward to chip the ball over the opposition keeper, who deflected the ball but could not prevent the goal.

Sophomore goalkeeper Christina Rodriguez faced very few shots on goal thanks to the strong play from the defense in front of her.

“We start with trying to preserve the [shutout],” Brunelle said. “And we make sure to take each half at a time and do what we can to keep the ball out of the net, because that sets us up well to be able to [succeed]. We have a good goalkeeper and back line who have a goal to not get scored on. Ever.”

This mentality appears successful so far, as the win marks the team’s second shutout of the season. The Eagles’ defense has not allowed a goal since the first half of their first match of the season on Aug. 31.

The Eagles move to 3-0-0 on the season with the victory. The team’s next match is at Al Barbour Field against Hope International University on Sept. 16.