Women’s soccer wins in OT again

Eagles top Warriors to win their second NCAA game in a tightly contested matchup.

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Carter Baumgartner, Writer

To finish their Oregon road trip, women’s soccer visited the Corban University Warriors for a midmorning game. The Eagles dominated attacking chances throughout the game but the teams remained scoreless after 90 minutes. However, overtime did not last long as senior forward Samantha Verduzco scored her second goal of the season to give her team a 1-0 victory.

The game started off quickly for the Eagles as Verduzco’s shot hit the crossbar in the 4th minute. The Eagles did not take their foot off of the gas as they continued to pressure and bombard the Warriors’ defense, holding possession in the Warriors’ half of the pitch for the majority of the first half. That led to many scoring opportunities but the Eagles could not convert any of them.

Biola managed to fire three shots on goal during regulation, but could not manage to get past Warriors goalkeeper Cheyenne Brusven, who had five saves in the game. At the other end, the Eagles’ defense held Corban to three shots on goal throughout the game while sophomore goalkeeper Christina Rodriguez stopped all shots that came her way.

Junior defender Madyson Brown led the Eagles with three shots. Her closest attempt was a 28th minute header off of a corner kick, which Brusven saved.

Overtime started off with a scramble in front of the Warriors’ goal in the 92nd minute. Sophomore defender Colie Martin dribbled down the sideline two minutes later before crossing the ball through the opponent’s penalty box to Verduzco, who fired the ball into the back of the net.

Their strong defense allowed them to control the game and lead in shots 10 (6 on goal) to Corban’s 6 (3 on goal). They also had all three of the game’s corner kicks.

The Eagles improved to 2-0 on the season. The team will return home to face Cal State San Marcos on Sept. 9 for their first NCAA game at Al Barbour Field.