Men’s soccer faces heavy defeat

The Eagles suffered a 4-0 loss in reality check game.

Men’s soccer faces heavy defeat

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Carter Baumgartner, Writer

While visiting the #15 ranked Cal Poly Pomona Broncos for a Saturday night match, the Eagles hoping to build off of their strong 0-0 draw with University of California San Diego. Things did not go as planned for head coach Todd Elkin’s men as they were outperformed by a superior squad. After going down 1-0 in the 25th minute, they fell apart in the second half by allowing three goals and having senior goalkeeper Igor Puglia ejected after he received a red card.

Utilizing a similar strategy to that of their successful draw to UCSD, the Eagles focused on stopping the opposing team’s attack and not giving up clear opportunities. This tactic proved effective for the first 24 minutes until Broncos midfielder Matthew Perez’s 25 yard shot found the top corner in the 25th minute.

Biola kept the score at 1-0 going to halftime, but were outshot 14-1 in the half.

In the second half, the Broncos picked up right where they left off and dominated both possession and shots. The Eagles kept Cal Poly Pomona off of the scoreboard for the first 20 minutes of the half, until Broncos defender Nadeer Ghantous headed in a corner kick in the 65th minute. The Broncos added another goal just two minutes later when midfielder Dante Medina’s deflected shot found the back of the net, effectively ending any chance of a Biola comeback with the score 3-0.

Biola’s frustration boiled over in the 83rd minute when Puglia was given a straight red card for violent conduct and ejected from the game, leaving his team a man short. Junior defender Spencer Santos was forced to finish the game in goal since freshman backup goalkeeper Alex Muir was inactive with an injury. Puglia’s foul also resulted in a penalty kick, which Broncos midfielder Sergio Menso converted to put the final nail in the Eagles’ coffin for the eventual final score of 4-0.

The Broncos displayed their dominance by limiting the Eagles to two shots (zero on goal) while pelting the Biola goal with 25 shots (10 on target) throughout the game.

The Eagles fall to 0-1-1 with the blowout defeat. When the team returns to Al Barbour Field on Sept. 8 to face Cal State San Marcos, they will have one less player due to starting goalkeeper Puglia’s suspension for his red card.