SGA surprises President Corey at chapel

Senators shock Corey to celebrate his 10 years of serving Biola as president.

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES

Anahi Vences, Writer

Student Government Association senators rushed the stage in celebration during chapel to celebrate President Barry Corey’s 10-year service as president of Biola on May 15.

A humble leader

Shortly after announcing the winner of the President’s Scholarship Award for the 2017-18 school year, SGA surprised Corey with balloons, picture cut-outs of his face, his book “Love Kindness” with highlighted words that impacted students, a plaque signed by students to hang in his office and a video of students sharing why they love Corey.

“He’s a humble president, so being led by that within SGA … he comes into our meetings a lot of the time and when he talks to us it’s more encouraging. It’s more, ‘Let’s be effective,’ and he’s like the leader of leaders on this campus,” said Sierra McCoy, Hope South senator and sophomore business management major.

The appreciation towards Corey goes beyond SGA members, as students from outside SGA got involved in making the video and highlighting the book. After SGA surprised Corey with the gifts and balloons, he appeared completely astonished, which Alpha West senator and sophomore sociology major Alyssa Gutierrez looked forward to at the ceremony.

A meaningful surprise

“He doesn’t suspect anything, so I am excited to see his expression,” Gutierrez said. “For him to think, ‘Oh they are giving back… they do care.’”

While the senators enjoyed planning the surprise, the original idea came from administrative director in the Office of the President Brian Shook. SGA wanted to make sure the surprise remained meaningful by celebrating and encouraging him for his 10 years of commitment to this institution.

“I was not expecting anything. I still have not yet processed everything that just happened,” Corey said.

To fund the celebration, McCoy, Gutierrez and SGA president and senior business and Bible major Jessica Snow proposed for $360 in the senate meeting on April 27. After voting to have a same day vote, the proposal passed in full with a vote of 13-0-2.