NCAA meet proves difficult for Eagles

Biola track and field athletes struggle in the traditionally challenging Occidental Invitational.

Courtesy of Neil Morgan

Courtesy of Neil Morgan

Courtesy of Neil Morgan

Carter Baumgartner, Writer

Biola track and field athletes got a taste of NCAA competition as they took part in the Occidental Invitational at Occidental College. No Eagles athletes managed to finish on the podium in any of their events, as even their stars struggled.

Biola junior Ambernicole Hollinger finished sixth out of seven athletes in the shot put, with a distance of 12.35 meters. Hollinger improved in the hammer throw, finishing tenth out of 14 competitors with a distance of 45.50 meters.

The freshmen trio of Sarah Prystupa, Paige LaBare and Ashley Otah competed in five combined events. Prystupa finished seventh out of 24 in the women’s pole vault, with her highest vault being 3.60 meters. LaBare took to the track in the women’s 100m and 200m races, where she won her heat in the 200m, but finished 30th overall and finished 22nd overall in the 100m. Otah competed in the women’s long jump and triple jump, finishing 20th out of 24 in the long jump and 17th out of 22 in the triple jump.

Senior Lyndee Dawson, the Eagles’ biggest star this season, only competed in the women’s 5,000m race. She did not make a big impact, finishing in 19th place out of 84. Junior Stephanie Croy finished 35th in the same race.

On the men’s side, freshman Robbie Gleeson finished 32nd in the 1,500m and sophomore Brian Marcus finished 20th in 400m hurdles. Sophomore Ryan Thompson competed in the men’s 5,000m but could only manage a 60th place finish.

The Eagles still have the All on the Line Qualifier at Westmont College on May 13 before their final NAIA Championships starting May 25.