Track and field performs well with busy week of meets

Dawson and Berz continue success as Eagles impress in GSAC tune up.

A trio of meets produced tremendous success for the Eagles’ track and field team.   |   Courtesy of Neil Morgan

A trio of meets produced tremendous success for the Eagles’ track and field team. | Courtesy of Neil Morgan

Joel Ashor, Writer

Biola track and field had a jam-packed week of meets to prepare for the GSAC championships as athletes competed in four different meets from April 13-22. At Azusa Pacific University, the Cougars hosted the annual Bryan Clay Invitational, which lasted April 13-14.  Also on April 13,  other athletes competed in the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calif. Then, the Eagles sent athletes to two different meets on April 22 — the Highlander Invitational and the CALPAC invitational.

Personal bests at prestigious meet

Senior Lyndee Dawson and junior Stephanie Croy headed to the Mt. SAC relays to compete in the 3,000m steeplechase on April 13. Dawson clocked in at eighth overall at the prestigious meet with a personal best time of 10:29.72. Croy also set a personal best to finish 31st overall with a time of 10:56.81. Both of these finishes were made even more impressive by the fact that a majority of athletes competing at the meet hailed from NCAA division I schools.

At APU, senior Brandon Berz continued his standout season with another stellar performance in the 3,000m steeplechase. Berz set another personal best with a time of 9:29.77 to finish 32nd overall at the event, which held some tough competition. This was a NAIA nationals qualifying time and puts Berz in a good place heading to nationals. On the women’s side, freshman Paige Labare finished 32nd overall in the 100m dash to cap an impressive meet with a time of 12.22.

At the CALPAC invitational on April 22, sophomore Aditya Lal shone in the men’s 800m run finishing third overall with an impressive time of 1:55.66. Freshman Sarah Prystupa performed at a high level for the Eagles by finishing second in the pole vault by clearing a height of 3.45m. Over at the Highlander Invitational, junior Ambernicole Hollinger achieved another personal best and school record in the hammer throw with a mark of 48.07 meters to finish second.

The Eagles compete again April 27 at the GSAC Championships in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Joel Ashor is a junior broadcast journalism major with a love for sports, friends, and history. Joel is a Notre Dame football, Angels baseball, and Boston Celtics fan.