Eagles split twinbill with the Firestorm

Following another pitching gem by Kimmy Triolo, the Eagles lost game two to Arizona Christian.

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES

Keaton Moore, Writer

While many might see a split doubleheader as a glass-half-empty, Biola’s softball team views their twinbill split with Arizona Christian University as a glass-half-full experience. Despite following their 4-2 victory in game one with a 7-3 loss, the Eagles maintained their 3-3 standing in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

“ACU is a good team, but we definitely have the talent and potential to sweep them next series,” said junior third baseman Selina Sherlin. “The work ethic within our team is phenomenal. I believe that no team in GSAC will out-work us, and we definitely have the heart and the passion to be successful.”

Sherlin’s first home run of the season broke a 2-2 tie that the Eagles faced in the third inning of game one. From there, senior starting pitcher Kimmy Triolo settled in, holding the Firestorm to two hits and two runs through six innings.

By earning her seventh win of the season, Triolo is in a two-way tie for the most victories in the GSAC and second in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.

A five-run third inning from the Firestorm in the second game proved too great a deficit for the Eagles to come back from. Despite three runs scored off two sacrifice flies and an RBI single from junior right fielder Anjie Amezquita in the fifth, freshman starting pitcher Paula Damas dropped to 2-3.

“Even though we split I think we had a very successful day,” Sherlin said. “We accomplished a lot of small goals and are growing every day on and off the field.”

With a chance to break the four-way tie for second place in conference, the Eagles face off against William Jessup University on Friday, March 10 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.