Eagles hang on against Marymount

Aided by an early three-run lead, the Biola baseball team bested Marymount 4-2.

Caroline Sommers/THE CHIMES

Keaton Moore, Writer

Backed by a home run from sophomore centerfielder Jerron Largusa, senior starting pitcher Gabe Ihrig led the 10-4 Eagles to a 4-2 victory over Marymount California University on Tuesday, Feb. 21.

“I had a lot of control over my three pitches and trusted my defense,” Ihrig said. “Honestly, I was not trying to be perfect, I was trying to throw it down the middle and have them get themselves out and it worked pretty well.”

In the bottom of the first, Largusa put the Eagles ahead 1-0 with a home run over the left field wall. He now leads the team with three homers this season. The following inning, Biola took a 3-0 lead with a pair of sacrifice flies, hit by sophomore second baseman Anj Bourgeois and senior catcher Rawley Hughes.

As the Mariners went to their bullpen after the second inning, Ihrig continued to pitched through the fifth. He kept Marymount off base through the first two innings and finished his start with only one hit and one walk.

Ihrig’s victory came into jeopardy when the Mariners cut Biola’s lead to 3-2 with sophomore right-handed pitcher James Goodwin on the mound. Regardless of their two-run RBI double, Goodwin pitched his way out of the inning with the Eagles’ lead intact.

Even when Marymount loaded the bases in the top of the ninth, junior right-handed pitcher Daniel Jang earned his fourth save of the season, wrapping up the Eagles’ victory.

“We’re winning these games, but our offense is not doing what they are capable of yet,” Ihrig said. “I’m excited to head to Westmont. They have a beautiful field and it’s going to be a really competitive weekend.”

With a chance to work their way up the Golden State Athletic Conference, the Eagles begin a three-game series against Westmont College on Friday, Feb. 24 at 2 p.m.