Women’s basketball faces stiff competition

A historic win and two tough losses mark the last two weeks of games for Biola.

Jason Lin/ THE CHIMES

Jason Lin/ THE CHIMES

Dale Fredriks, Writer

This past two-week stretch for the women’s basketball team provided some ups, some downs, some wins and some losses — but also learning opportunities all around. They lost to the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions on the road Nov. 19, then grabbed a victory over Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University the day before Thanksgiving, and finally lost to the Concordia University Eagles on Nov. 29.

Fireworks beyond the arc

Biola knew coming into their game against Point Loma that they were in for a rough ride. The Sea Lions are a National Collegiate Athletics Association Division II school who have had success there in recent years. Regardless, the Eagles put up an admirable fight, actually outscoring them in the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, a 15-37 halftime deficit proved too much to overcome, and Point Loma went on to a 75-55 win.

Junior guard DeMoria White had the best night of all scorers, putting up 20 points on 7-17 shooting, including 4-11 on three-pointers. Joining White in double digits was senior forward Joclyn Kirton, who put up 10 points thanks to 5-9 shooting and working hard in the paint against the taller Sea Lions’ forwards.

While most Biola students were long gone on Thanksgiving break, the women stuck around for a home game on the 23rd against the Embry-Riddle Golden Eagles. After a lethargic first quarter from both teams, Biola exploded in the second quarter, dropping 26 points while only allowing eight to the Golden Eagles to give Biola a 42-22 lead at the half. They continued the momentum into the second half, outscoring Embry-Riddle in the third and fourth quarters on their way to a 89-62 win.

Fallen Records

Two school records fell in the outing, as Biola drained 16 three-pointers for the game and senior guard Annie Park set the new record for best three-point percentage in one game by going 9-13 for a .692 percentage. Park finished the night with 30 points, but had support from White, who put up 26 of her own. Kirton contributed 13 points in the well-rounded team win.

The final game of the two weeks saw Biola travel to their old rival school, the NCAA Div II Concordia Eagles. The Eagles in red put up 11 points in both the first and second quarters, whereas the Eagles in green outdid Biola slightly with 14 and 13 points in the first two quarters for a 27-22 lead at half. Biola made up the difference in the third quarter, tying the game at 43 going into the final quarter, but Concordia would not be denied at home and walked away victorious by a score of 70-61.

White and Kirton led the way for Biola’s offense again, with 16 and 15 points respectively. Kirton finished with nine rebounds, just short of the double-digits necessary for her fourth double-double of the season. Freshman guard Tatum Brimley scored 10 points as the final Biola Eagle in double-digits for scoring, but junior guard Khadidja Diakite broke the double-digit barrier in rebounds, finishing with 10.

Biola’s next game will see them traveling to Orange, Calif. to play the Chapman University Cougars on Dec. 3 at 5 p.m.