Senators meet with Corey

SGA members have the opportunity to ask President Corey questions and vote on proposals.

SGA+Logo

Rebecca Mitchell, Writer

The Student Government Association met with President Barry Corey, where students, staff and faculty were welcome to attend and ask questions. In the beginning, SGA president Jessica Snow updated Corey on SGA’s work for the year. These topics included student voter registration through TurboVote, their goal to have hammocks allowed on campus, SGA’s new relationship with the Center for Christian Thought and the first year intern program.

A total of four people from the Biola community attended, including administration members members vice president of Student Development André Stephens and assistant director of public relations and internal communications Brenda Velasco, attended the meeting in addition to the senators. The senators were the only ones to ask questions. However, Stephens and Velasco aided Corey in answering a few questions on eliminating ‘perfect Christianity’ and Campus Safety’s work in response to the false message sent out earlier this semester.

The senators’ questions centered on several topics, including if Biola plans to affiliate with a certain denomination, plans for future bills like California Senate Bill 1146 and how to lessen the idea of ‘perfect Christianity,’ where Christians can feel all other believers are perfect but not themselves, on Biola’s campus.

Voting

The Biola-Thon, the 16-hour dance-a-thon, was passed in the partial amount of $2,184 with a vote of 13-1-1.

Deck the Haven passed in the full amount of $5,105 with a vote of 14-0-1.

After some debate on the cost of the t-shirts for the Shed the Shame event, the proposal was passed in the full amount of $2,000 with a vote of 8-7-0.

The senators also debated the Woven Conference proposal because of the cost of the event’s decorations, including a banner for $950. However, the proposal passed in the partial amount of $4,800 with a vote of 8-7-0.