Eagles stand out in Malibu

Several members of the swim team landed near the top of the leaderboard in individual races at the Malibu Invitational in Pepperdine.

Austin Green, Writer

Biola’s swim teams posted strong showings at the Malibu Invitational hosted by Pepperdine University on Oct. 15. It marked the Eagles’ first road competition and second overall of the season after a solid team debut in La Mirada on Oct. 8. However, Individual times proved the priority this time around, as the invitational did not give out overall team scores.

On the women's side, newly christened athlete of the week Lisa Tixier outshone her teammates in the sprints. The junior recorded a third-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly, as well as fourth place finishes in the 50-yard butterfly and freestyle. Tixier’s most impressive performance of the day came in the 100-yard individual medley when she finished second in a field of 59 with a time of 1:00.22.

As for the men, freshmen Raymond Kam and Matthew Roe also performed well in the sprints. Roe’s best performances of the day came when he came in 10th in the 50-yard backstroke and 12th in the 100-yard backstroke. Meanwhile, Kam finished seventh in the 100-yard breastroke and 13th in the 50-yard breastroke.

Biola will travel to Oakland, Calif. for a two-day event at Mills College from Oct. 21-22.