Eagles reign over the Royals

Hope International returns to Fullerton empty-handed as Biola earns the three-set sweep.

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The last time the Hope International University Royals faced off against Biola, the Eagles barely escaped with the five-set victory. The results proved different this time, as Biola walked away with a clean three set sweep of their Golden State Athletic Conference opponents. This win marks the 40th all-time win for Biola volleyball over Hope, and improves their GSAC record to 8-2 and overall to 17-8.

After having played two matches in the two days prior to this match, with one of them requiring five sets, Biola showed no signs of fatigue and played their best volleyball of the three-game stretch.

“I think they played really well tonight from start to finish,” said head coach Aaron Seltzer. “We only had three times where we gave up three points or more in that whole stretch, so I thought we were pretty consistent.”

Biola outplayed Hope in every statistical category of the night, earning 44 kills to the Royals’ 27, blocking seven swings as opposed to Hope’s two, and an overall kill percentage of .308 compared to the .140 that HIU posted.

The setters for Biola, senior Tori Moons and sophomore Brinley Beresford, did an excellent job of confusing the Royals’ blockers, leading to their 40 total assists of the night. Sophomore opposite Karly Dantuma and sophomore outside Brooke Watts did their part on the receiving end of the sets, as each finished the match with 10 kills to lead all attackers.

The Eagles do not take to the court until Friday, Oct. 21 when they travel to William Jessup University to face the Warriors team sitting in second-to-last place in GSAC with a 2-8 record. The match will start at 5 p.m. in Rocklin, Calif.