Eagles grounded by the Orediggers

Unranked Montana Tech surprised Biola with a five-set upset on Oct. 14.

Jason Lin/ THE CHIMES

Dale Fredriks, Writer

Coming into the match on Thursday against the Montana Tech Orediggers, the Biola volleyball team had won all five of their previous five-set matches this season. That streak came to an end as the unranked Montana Tech upset No. 16 Biola in Chase Gymnasium, dropping the Eagles’ overall record to 15-8.

Sets one and three went Biola’s way, as they finished with 25-20 and 25-19 scores, respectively. However, games two, four and five proved all Montana, as they won 25-12, 25-15 and 15-8.

“We just did not execute as much as we should have,” said assistant coach Abbie Wright. “We watched their tendencies and things like that. I just do not think we jumped out in front and took care of that as much as we should have.”

One of the positives from this game came in the form of the return of freshman outside hitter Brooke Watts, who has not played since Sept. 6 due to an injury. She led the team in kills for the match, finishing with 12, the only Eagle to get double digits.

Senior middle Ally Forsberg had the most efficient night for Biola, tallying eight kills and zero errors off 17 attempts for a .471 kill percentage. Sophomore opposite Karly Dantuma had nine kills for the night, but committed six errors and had 38 attempts for an uncharacteristic .079 kill percentage.

Biola steps back onto the court on Oct. 13, when they face the Arizona Christian University Firestorm in Chase Gymnasium starting at 7 p.m.