Volleyball hits bump in Santa Barbara

Biola proved unable to stop the hot start of GSAC rival Westmont on Saturday.

Jason Lin/ THE CHIMES

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The Biola women’s volleyball team traveled to Santa Barbara on Saturday with the goal of handing the Westmont College Warriors their first loss of the season. Instead, the Eagles were swept in straight sets with scores of 25-21, 25-20 and 25-22 against their Golden State Athletic Conference rivals.

Getting to work

Westmont entered the match ranked third overall in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and wasted no time getting to work, building a 21-12 lead in the first set. Despite entering the match as heavy underdogs, however, Biola refused to give in easily. The Eagles surged back to get within three points, but it was not enough to overcome the early deficit.

Biola jumped out to an 11-8 lead in the second set, but Westmont scored seven in a row to spark a 12-3 run and put the score out of reach for the Eagles. Biola made one last furious rally in the third set, coming back from five points down to eventually lead 21-20. But yet again, Westmont had an answer, scoring five out of the next six to ensure a sweep.

A struggle

Biola particularly struggled on the attack and only registered a .075 hitting percentage as opposed to Westmont’s .214 mark. They were also overwhelmed by the Warriors at the net, with only four blocks recorded against Westmont’s 13.

The rough day for the Eagles was not without a few silver linings, however. Sophomore setter Brinley Beresford turned in another strong performance, leading all players in assists with 16 as well as recording her 12th ace of the season. Freshman outside hitter Alyx Dunham added a team-high nine kills.

With the loss, Biola dropped to 13-7 on the season and 4-2 against GSAC competition. Fortunately for them, they will return to La Mirada to kick off a five-game homestand that will last for most of October. That stretch kicks off on Sept. 29 when the Eagles host the San Diego Christian College Hawks in Chase Gymnasium.