Men’s soccer solves goal drought in 5-0 victory

The Eagles kicked off conference matchups with a shutout victory over the Firestorm.

Keaton Moore, Writer

With the momentum of back-to-back 2-0 victories over the University of Antelope Valley Pioneers and the University of California Merced Bobcats, the men’s soccer team beat the Arizona Christian University Firestorm in their largest victory of the season. Their 5-0 victory over the Firestorm in the Golden State Athletic Conference opener extended the Eagles’ winning streak to six games and boosted their record to 6-1.

Senior midfielder Devin Leon not only put the Eagles on the board with a shot in the 18-yard box at 32:02, he also scored one of the the final goals of the game in his first multi-goal game of 2016. Although the Eagles took eight shots and scored one goal in the first period, their shots truly paid off in the second period when they scored four goals.

Three of the four goals in the second period were scored within five minutes, the first of which was netted by senior forward Leonardo Contreras at 50:36. Nearly two minutes later, junior defender Sammy McKay headed in a goal from a perfectly placed corner kick from sophomore defender Kousei Mattox. Mattox then delivered another assist that allowed Leon to score his second goal of the game at 55:18. A successful penalty kick from junior forward Keaton Kerr at 73:10 wrapped the bow on the Eagles’ 5-0 gem over Arizona Christian.

While the Eagles finished the match with 22 shots, the Firestorm were held to 11, only three of which warranted saves from junior goalkeeper Igor Puglia and freshman goalkeeper Robert Sams, who made his first appearance of 2016. Since their defeat in the season opener, the Eagles’ defense has not allowed a goal through their six-game winning streak.

The Eagles move on in their homestand with a match against the Menlo College Oaks on Saturday, Sept. 24 at 7 p.m.