First open proposals presented

Senate hears five student initiatives and one internal proposal.

SGA+Logo

Rebecca Mitchell, Writer

The Student Government Association held their first open proposals of the school year, with six different presentations.

Proposals

Jason Khera, senior cinema and media arts major, hopes to hold a 16-hour dance-a-thon in May, called the Biola-Thon, to raise money for Homeboy Industries and In the City in order to support community development in Los Angeles. Khera proposed for $10,336 to fund the food and marketing and communication of the event, with the goal of having 250 students attend. The event will also have special performances and other activities beyond dancing. In regards to Biola’s dancing rule, Khera received approval from President Barry Corey to go through with the event.

Brandon Berz, vice president of finance, technology and HR, proposed $7,056 for the renewal of New York Times subscription for the fall and spring semesters. The subscription includes 80 paper copies per day, as well as 80 online user logins. The senate would deliver the first papers on Sept. 26.  

Junior elementary education majors and Alpha resident advisors Savannah Ozier and Caitlin Pon, presented on behalf of Alpha for $1,650 to hold Candyland. Alpha opens its doors to the public for trick-or-treating on Oct. 31, and needs the funds for art supplies, food and a bounce house.

Hart resident advisors Kylie Smith, senior chemistry major, and Horacio Sevilla Figueroa, sophomore engineering physics major, proposed for $995 to host three events during Hart Loves Week from Nov. 7-11, as well as make special event buttons. Through this week the resident advisors hope to share the Hart community with Biola by hosting open events such as s’mores on McNally Field, a talent show in Hart and cotton candy at Fluor Fountain, with the goal of serving 300-500 students per day.

Morgan Carr, senior public relations major, and Lauren Peterson, SGA communications coordinator, asked for $540 on behalf of Biola’s 6th Street Public Relations to fund an Operation Christmas Child packing event. The money will be used for posters to advertise, a photo booth and supplies. During the event on Nov. 17 in the Caf banquet room, students have the opportunity to package boxes for children who do not typically receive Christmas presents.

Lauren Peterson, SGA communications coordinator, and Florin Homer, sophomore business administration major, proposed for $500 to help approximately six students pay for a Public Relations Student Society Association national conference. The conference will be held in Indianapolis at the end of October and the money would be put towards conference registration fees.

Voting for these proposals will happen at the next meeting on Sept. 22.