Oaks overcome by Eagles’ offense

Five Biola volleyball players finish with 10 or more kills in their 3-0 win over Menlo College.

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The Biola Eagles volleyball team came into Friday’s match against the Menlo College Oaks with a 5-0 record in the two years Menlo has been part of the Golden State Athletic Conference. That record remains perfect, as Biola earned the straight sets victory over the Oaks on Sept. 16.

“Menlo did a good job tonight, they were much improved from last year,” said head coach Aaron Seltzer. “But our girls did well.”

The first game came right down to the wire, as neither team held more than a three-point lead over the other. Biola had three opportunities to close the game out, as they led 24-21. However, Menlo fought back and tied the game at 24. Biola remained strong mentally, and two consecutive kills, from sophomore outside Hannah van Warmerdam and sophomore opposite Stephanie Jewett, gave the Eagles the 26-24 first set win.

Game two stayed close all the way until the score read 15-14 in Biola’s favor. Then, the Eagles went on a tear and increased their lead to 21-14. They would not give the lead back and went on to win 25-20 thanks to a kill from senior outside Olivia Sorensen.

The final game finished close as well, with Biola taking the largest lead at five points, 16-11. Menlo closed the gap toward the end of the game to 23-21 in Biola’s favor, but two kills from freshman outside Alyx Dunham and sophomore opposite Karly Dantuma closed out the game 25-21.

Jewett, van Warmerdam and Dunham each ended the night with 10 kills, and Dantuma and junior middle Ally Forsberg finished with 11 kills each.

The Eagles take to the court again on Sept. 17, when they face another GSAC opponent, the William Jessup University Warriors, starting at 3 p.m. in Chase Gymnasium.