Freshmen lead women’s golf to strong start

Khang and Roeske start off their collegiate careers with impressive starts in the 2016 Art of Golf Classic.

Keaton Moore, Writer

The women’s golf team started their season off on a high note, boasting two finishers in the top ten in round one of the 2016 Art of Golf Classic. Within seven strokes of first place, freshman Jenny Zhang finished in a three-way tie for sixth place and freshman Tori Roeske tied for ninth.

Zhang swung her way through the first seven holes, managing to stay even at par. However, after the eighth hole when she went one over par, Zhang began to slip and finished at 79, six over par. Meanwhile, Roeske struggled through the first three holes and entered the fourth hole three over par. Roeske stayed on par through most of the remaining holes and held onto 80 strokes after round one.

Following in the footsteps of the freshmen were junior Lauren Van Horn, sophomore Mary Karnazes and senior Amanda Hobbs. Even though Van Horn finished 27th with 88 strokes, she shot the only birdie for Biola with two shots on hole No. 4.

The combined numbers of the five golfers gave Biola a total 341 and placed them fourth, behind future PacWest Conference rivals Point Loma Nazarene University, Holy Names University and Dominican University.

The Eagles head back to the course for round two of the Art of Golf Classic on Tuesday, Sept. 13, starting at 8 a.m.