Society builds future student leaders

The National Society of Leadership and Success seeks to equip students with fundamental leadership abilities through events and networking groups.

Marika Adamopoulos

Alondra Urizar/THE CHIMES

Jehn Kubiak, Writer

Students from all years and majors who desire to change the world as leaders have the opportunity to develop essential skills and qualities through the nation’s largest collegiate leadership society, the National Society of Leadership and Success.

well-rounded leaders

Over 500 NSLS chapters exist and Biola will join the long list of members, which includes both Christian schools like Azusa Pacific University and secular schools like University of California, San Diego. The society will run a pilot semester in the fall and welcomes students who meet the 2.75 grade point average requirement.

Approximately 600 students responded to email invitations sent by Summer Chiu, current president and senior communication studies major. These interested students will later receive a formal invitation via mail to become an official NSLS member. The program seeks to build well-rounded leaders desiring to improve the world around them, according to Chiu.

Chiu believes NSLS stands out from other honor societies at Biola because it allows students from different disciplines to foster their ability to lead.

“None of the honor societies are like this one because this one is very interactive and it’s open to just not one major or one group on campus — it’s really inclusive in that way,” Chiu said.

The program includes an orientation, a leadership training day where they learn more about their individual leadership skills and leading others around them, as well as listening to speaker seminar broadcasts for each chapter. These unique broadcasts stream throughout the country and feature a leader, such as a mayor or celebrity, who share their tips for success with NSLS members. Chiu feels the broadcasts create an interactive environment for students and help them personalize the information presented during the seminar.

“It’s really cool and interactive in that way, that way it feels more personal even though it’s such a large thing,” Chiu said.

a motivational tool

There are also planned success networking teams of about six to seven students that share their goals with group members as a motivational tool. Chiu also explained how SNT groups can inspire students to maintain academic success due to the positive, supporting community of fellow leaders surrounding them.

“It’s a motivational tool that helps keep students accountable and you’re way more likely to achieve your goals if you have other people helping you along,” Chiu said.

Members have an opportunity to bolster their leadership skills by attending leadership training or through serving on an eboard with chairs leading committees that members have the opportunity to join.

Chiu selected this year’s leaders by sending out emails to different groups on campus and receiving applications from interested students. Sophomore communication major Sarah Wilde and Chiu interviewed the applicants this year, but Wilde will determine the formal hiring process for future semesters as next year’s president.

Senior Christian ministries major Kevin Penfold graduates this year and lacks the opportunity to participate in the society, but he feels the society will benefit students when they search for future jobs by distinguishing them from other applicants who do not possess the same leadership abilities.

“Whenever you go to an interview and you can tell them you’ve taken extra time out of the way you normally do to better yourself and become a better leader, that’s always going to be impressive to a hiring manager,” Penfold said.

Sophomore psychology major Angela Park received the email and desires to join the society next year after learning more about the society through their website. Park hopes to develop leadership skills such as communication and desires to learn more about the world outside the Biola community.

“I want to get to know bigger organizations, bigger plans, projects that are happening outside of where I’m at right now — I think there’s so much outside the world we can help with,” Park said.