Eagles in playoff position

By sweeping the doubleheader, the Eagles take the series from the Oaks and hold the fourth place conference spot.

Keaton Moore, Writer

Tied with the Menlo College Oaks for fourth place in the Golden State Athletic Conference, the Eagles finished their final homestand with a comeback win and a shutout. By winning the series, the Eagles passed Menlo and are tied with The Master’s College for third place.

Biola and Menlo juggled with the lead early in the second game, the lead changing four times before the Eagles blew out the Oaks’ bullpen with a gigantic sixth inning. Despite his shaky outing, junior starting pitcher Jimmy Gallarda was supported by the Eagles’ productive offense.

Trailing 3-4, junior catcher Sam Thorne launched a two-run home run as the Eagles took a 6-4 lead in the second. After losing their lead, third baseman Andres Rodriguez tied the game with an RBI double in the bottom of the fifth.

The momentum of the game shifted to Biola as the Eagles scored seven runs in the bottom of the sixth and took a commanding lead over Menlo. Five hits and three walks gave the Eagles a 14-7 lead after their offensive outburst. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Daniel Jang relied on the Eagles’ seven run cushion and earned the win for Biola’s 14-10 victory.

With the series on the line, the Eagles wrapped up their final home series of the season in quality style. Led by the untouchable pitching of sophomore right-handed pitcher Micah Beyer, who hurled a complete game and allowed only two hits and no runs, the Eagles beat Menlo 4-0.

The Eagles’ patience at the plate led to their first two runs of the game, scored off bases loaded walks in the fourth and fifth. They added to their lead with RBI singles from de Watteville and Thorne in the bottom of the sixth, but one run was necessary for the Eagles to take the series from Menlo.

The Eagles hit the road to play a single game against Providence Christian College on Tuesday, April 19 at 7 p.m.