Eagles tie Mustangs

Despite dropping the series finale to the Hawks, the Eagles are now tied with The Master’s College in GSAC.

Keaton Moore, Writer

With the series clinched, the Eagles fell to the San Diego Christian College Hawks after giving up three-runs in the top of the eighth inning. Despite their loss, the Eagles came out with a series win and are now tied with The Master’s College Mustangs for third in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

After a three-up-three-down first inning, junior starting pitcher Gabe Ihrig gave up three runs in the top of the second. Down by three, the Eagles gained the lead with a monstrous four-run third inning. Two batters after junior catcher Rawley Hughes led off the inning with a single, he was brought in by an RBI single from junior second baseman JD Meyer. With the bases loaded and two outs, junior first baseman Jimmy Gallarda and senior rightfielder Jeremy Barth hit back-to-back RBI singles to give the Eagles a 4-3 lead.

With junior left-handed pitcher Buddy Brouwer on the mound, the Hawks tied the game in the top of the fifth, scoring off an RBI groundout. Tied at four, senior third baseman Andres Rodriguez hit an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth, which gave the Eagles a 5-4 lead.

However, the Hawks jumped on sophomore right-handed pitcher Daniel Jang after he took over the game and brought home three-runs. Due to his rough outing, Jang received the loss as the Eagles fell to a 12-9 conference record.

Before resuming their GSAC matchups, the Eagles play a single game against Bethesda University on Tuesday, April 12 at 2 p.m.