Eagles succeed in NorCal

Competing in seven events, the Eagles return to Biola with many top finishers in the San Francisco State Distance Carnival.

Marika Adamopoulos

Johnathan Burkhardt/THE CHIMES

Keaton Moore, Writer

For Biola’s track and field teams, the San Francisco State Distance Carnival was highlighted by the return of sophomore middle distance runner Annika Gasner, who had not competed since before the indoor national meet in early March. The Eagles travelled up north and competed in four women’s events and three men’s events.

New Personal bests

Biola had students compete in the women’s 800 meters, 1,500 meters, 5,000 meters and 3,000 meters steeplechase races. Gasner, who earned 32nd place among top NCAA competitors, finished the 1,500m in 4:39, earning herself a “B” qualifying standard in that event. Senior middle distance runner Alisa Murray also hit the “B” standard and finished two seconds behind Gasner and earned 40th in the 1,500m. Runners such as distance runners senior Ilima Kung, sophomore Hannah Hunsaker and freshman Melissa Ledesma all earned new personal bests in the 1,500m, finishing in the top-70.

Sophomore distance runners Lyndee Dawson and Stephanie Croy were the only two Eagles to compete in the women’s 3,000m steeplechase event. Finishing in the top-20, Dawson set a new personal best in the event and finished the 3,000m steeplechase in 10:48. Crossing the finish line 17 seconds after Dawson, Croy also improved her personal best by 27 seconds by finishing in 11:05.

Among the seven racers in the women’s 5,000m, three finished in the top-100 against 141 competitors. Senior distance runner Kellian Hunt finished in 38th place in 17:24, setting her new personal best, and was followed shortly by senior middle distance runner Michelle Clark. Freshman distance runners Kaitlin Quaid and Kelly Thomas also set new personal bests with their times in the 5,000m. On top of that, freshmen distance runners Emily Ransom, Kaili Waller and sophomore Mikaela Martin all ran the event for the first time.

Competing with the best

Distance runners senior Andrew Deadler and sophomore Timmy Wilson both competed in the men’s 1,500m event. Deadler hit the “B” qualifying standard with his 3:56 time, which also earned him 25th place overall. Although Wilson finished much later than Deadler in 79th place, he still shaved off a second on his personal best in the 1,500m at 4:08.

For freshmen distance runners Ryan Thompson and Tim Seeberger, they competed in their first collegiate level 5000m. While Seeberger ended in 191st place at 16:27, Thompson earned the fastest Eagles time at 15:36 and finished in 139th place.

Sophomore middle distance runner Wes Noyes finished the 800m men’s event first among Biola’s runners in 40th place overall and set a new personal best at 1:55.

After their impressive meet against NCAA competitors, the Eagles will compete in the Pomona-Pitzer Invite on Saturday, April 9.