Eagles fall to the Warriors

Men’s tennis finishes their last spring break match with a loss against Lewis-Clark State College.

Dale Fredriks, Writer

A full week of games over spring break for the men’s tennis team concluded on April 1 with a loss to the Lewis-Clark State College Warriors. The Eagles finished singles with strong performances from their top two players, but ultimately could not overcome the deficit, losing the match 3-6.

Biola got into a hole early, dropping the first four singles matches in straight sets. Only the top two players, sophomore Lucas Lee at the two spot and sophomore Philip Westwood at the one spot, were able to get the wins.

Lee had to work the hardest for his win, as it took three sets to decide the victor. Lee dropped the first set 4-6, rallied back to even the match with a 6-4 second set win, then went on to win 6-2 in the third set. Lee has the best record in singles matches this season for the Eagles, and this win extends his record to 13-5.

Westwood won his match in only two sets, but it took a long time due to a number of extended rallies. Regardless, Westwood stayed mentally strong, eventually winning both sets 6-4.

These two wins put Biola behind in the match 4-2, and a doubles sweep would have given them the win. The Warriors proved too much for the Eagles however, winning two of the three doubles matches. Only Biola’s second team, composed of Westwood and sophomore Joe Turnquist, were able to get the doubles win by a score of 8-6.

The Eagles move to 10-10 on the season, following a loss to the Middlebury College Panthers on March 28 and a win against the Pacific Lutheran University Lutes on March 29. The team next plays the Westmont College Warriors on April 5, their second-to-last match before the Golden State Athletic Conference tournament starts on April 19.