Softball splits another week

Biola softball snapped their losing streak with a pair of wins against Embry-Riddle, but dropped two key GSAC games against San Diego Christian.

Three Biola grads and a current student are being published in a new book about young conservatism, “Proud to Be Right.”

Jack Finck, Writer

In the second game against San Diego Christian College, Biola found themselves down four runs going into the seventh and final inning. Two doubles later, the Eagles cut their deficit down to three. Head coach Lorie Coleman sent in pitch hitter, senior Kendall Maddox, who answered the call with a home run. It proved not enough as the team failed to complete the comeback, dropping their second game of the week.   

Split

The Biola softball team split this week as they swept Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University on March 12, but then fell twice to San Diego Christian College on March 15.

Biola thrived against Embry-Riddle’s pitching staff, earning the mercy rule in both games. In the first game, senior third baseman Heather Hall, sophomore first baseman Selina Sherlin and freshman shortstop Andi Hormel all hit home runs adding to Biola’s 9-0 win.

Earning the Win

Freshman Kalie Chavez earned the win for holding Embry-Riddle scoreless in all six innings of the game played. She faced 18 batters and only allowed one hit and two walks while earning three strikeouts.

The Eagle’s second game against Embry-Riddle ended in five innings with Biola’s 10-2 lead. Their largest run was in the second inning for Biola. Sherlin led off the inning with a double and was brought to third off of a single by freshman utility player Areana Ramos. Andi’s double and Embry-Riddle’s errors allowed Biola to score five runs. The Eagles finished the game 10-2.

In San Diego

Biola went to San Diego in an attempt to find their second Golden State Athletic Championship win of the season. The Hawks took Biola by storm in the first game, shutting the Eagles out while scoring eight runs of their own. San Diego’s pitcher, junior Kendra Kuper pitched all six innings while only allowing six hits and one walk while earning nine strikeouts.

Sophomore Anjie Amezquita opened up the second game with a grand slam over centerfield to give Biola a 4-0 lead. San Diego answered with three runs of their own in the bottom of the first inning.  

Senior third baseman Heather Hall’s two-RBI single in the third inning gave Biola its longest and last lead of the game. The Hawks answered with four runs in the bottom of the inning and scored an additional three runs in the next two. Maddox’s late game heroics ended up not enough as the Eagles fell 9-10.

Season Record

Biola now holds a season record of 13-14-1 while being 1-5 in GSAC. Their next game against William Jessup University on March 17 will start a 16-game homestand for the Eagles.