Eagles melt in the desert

After taking the early lead over the Firestorm, the Eagles fall to Arizona Christian University late in the game.

A study from the American Journal of Sociology examines how college students form friendships, and the role race plays in those relationships.

Keaton Moore, Writer

Despite holding onto the lead through most of the game, the Arizona Christian University Firestorm’s caught fire in an eighth inning rally and the Eagles lost the series opener in Arizona. Losing to their Golden State Athletic Conference rival dropped the Eagles to a 3-7 conference record and now stand 10-16 on the season.

The Eagles leaped ahead in the top of the first with back-to-back RBI hits from junior catcher Sam Thorne and junior second baseman JD Meyer. After an RBI groundout from senior rightfielder Jeremy Barth, the Eagles left their half of the inning leading 3-0.

However, after a run-filled second and eighth inning, the Firestorm fought back and gained the lead in the bottom of the eighth off Diomartich, who ended his outing after pitching 7.1 innings with 10 hits and five runs.

Junior left handed pitcher Buddy Brouwer took the mound in the seventh and kept the Firestorm to three runs, allowing one hit and striking out one batter. With three outs left the Eagles trailed the Firestorm 3-5 and could not recover from a three-run eighth inning.

Although the Eagles did not take the first game of the set, Thorne and senior designated hitter Eugene Shin hit well against the Firestorm’s pitching staff. Both players went 2-4 and Thorne ended the game with one RBI.

The Eagles will continue their stint in Arizona with a doubleheader, starting on Saturday March 11 at 11:00 a.m.