Tigers provide learning experience

Women’s tennis lost to nationally ranked Brenau University.

Dale Fredriks, Writer

Despite a total run time of around three hours, usually an indication of a close match, the Biola Eagles women’s tennis team got swept by the No. 7 ranked Brenau University Golden Tigers.

How well the players do is more than the score, it is best reflected in how long a person is on the court,” said Dee Henry, head coach. “We played the number seven team in the nation. They were strong from the top down.”

Things started out rough for the Eagles in doubles play, as Brenau quickly dispatched all three Biola teams. Biola’s second team, composed of senior Kathryn Ashford and sophomore Brooke Sanford, performed the best, taking four games off the Tigers on the way to an 8-4 loss. The Eagles’ first team, made up of juniors Madeline Heer and Kelsey Post, played admirably, but ended up losing 8-2. The freshmen duo of Katie Boesl and Bailey McGeough played on the Eagles’ third team, and finished with an 8-1 loss.

Things proved equally bleak on the singles side, as all but one of Biola’s players suffered a bagel in at least one of their sets. The only Eagle to have that honor was Heer, as she took one game in each of the two sets she played. The Tigers only got the match sweep against Post, while Ashford and Sanford both had a set where they took three games from the Brenau player. Sophomore Megan Ontiveros played in her first singles match since the Eagles played the Westmont Warriors back on Feb. 20, but she got outplayed by her Brenau opponent, losing her match 6-0, 6-1.

The Eagles drop to 3-7 overall, and are back at it again on March 5, as they face the Arizona Christian University Firestorm in a home Golden State Athletic Conference matchup.