The Eagles triumph over the Warriors

Baseball is now on a two-game winning streak after beating William Jessup late in the game.

Keaton Moore, Writer

With the early foundations of a winning streak, the Eagles baseball team conquered the William Jessup Warriors in their third Golden State Athletic Conference matchup of the season. After a back-and-forth game, the Eagles topped the Warriors 7-4 and improved to a 2-5 conference record.

The Eagles jumped on the Warriors’ starting pitcher in the bottom of the first, taking the early lead from a fielder’s choice and an RBI ground out from junior first baseman Jimmy Gallarda. Biola added to their lead with an RBI single hit by senior leftfielder Aaron Chavez in the bottom of the fourth.

However, William Jessup fought back and scored three runs off senior starting pitcher Eric Diomartich. The game remained locked at 3-3 until the Eagles regained the lead in the bottom of the sixth. After a triple from senior rightfielder Jeremy Barth, freshman centerfielder Jerron Largusa hit an RBI single. The next batter, Chavez, brought Largusa home with an RBI triple, making the score 5-2 at the end of the sixth.

Although William Jessup cut their deficit to one run in the top of the seventh, the Eagles added two runs to the scoreboard thanks to an RBI double from junior second baseman JD Meyer and a sacrifice fly from Gallarda in the bottom of the seventh.

After pitching 1.1 innings from the bullpen and allowing only two hits and one run, junior right handed pitcher Gabe Ihrig earned his first win of the season while sophomore right handed pitcher Daniel Jang notched his second save.

The Eagles continue their three-game series against William Jessup with a doubleheader on Saturday, March 5 at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.