Win streak continues

Biola softball sweeps Antelope Valley in a doubleheader round.

Biola men’s lacrosse began their season today, losing to Claremont at an away game, 17-4.

Dale Fredriks, Writer

Coming off its three win performance at the NAIA SoCal Classic, the Biola Eagles softball team matched up against the University of Antelope Valley Pioneers in a non-Golden State Athletic Conference doubleheader. The first game kicked off at noon, with the Eagles claiming the 3-1 victory. The second game started at 2 p.m., and the Eagles repeated their victory, ending with a final score of 8-4.

First Game

The first game of the day took a long time to be decided, as the first run came in the seventh inning, in Biola’s favor.

Freshman shortstop Andi Hormel got on base after being hit by pitch, moved to third after a double by sophomore utility player Anjie Amezquita, then was brought home by a single from senior third baseman Heather Hall. The next batter was walked, loading the bases, then Amezquita came home as freshman pitcher Kaile Chavez was also hit by a pitch. Freshman utility player Areana Ramos, pinch-hitting for senior utility player Iliana Morales, brought home the Eagles’ final run of the game as she too was walked.

Antelope Valley scored one in the bottom of the seventh, but it proved too little-too late and Biola walked away with the win.

Second Game

The second game of the day was much more high-scoring, and started off at a much faster pace. Biola scored five runs in the third inning, as a walk brought junior outfielder Kasey Hormel home, then a pair of consecutive singles brought home sophomore first baseman Selina Sherlin, Amezquita, Andi and Hall. Junior second baseman Maranda Galindo scored in the fourth inning off an error by the Pioneers’ centerfielder, bringing the score at that point to 5-0.

The Pioneers responded with four runs of their own in the fifth, but then Biola had another solid seventh inning to put the nail in the coffin. Sherlin was brought home by Chavez, who then in turn was driven home by Morales, giving them the 8-4 win and the series shutout.

Upcoming Games

The Eagles move to 8-5-1 on the season, while Antelope Valley drops to 1-14. Biola will be back in action tomorrow, as they face the Marymount College Mariners in another out-of-conference doubleheader. The first game is set to start at Biola’s Freedom Field at 8 a.m., followed by the second at 10 a.m.