Softball pulls above .500

Biola softball won three of four games in the NAIA SoCal Classic to improve to 6-5-1.

Three Biola grads and a current student are being published in a new book about young conservatism, “Proud to Be Right.”

Jack Finck, Writer

The young Biola softball team has won five of their last six games, including three of four in the NAIA SoCal Classic in West Covina Feb. 19-20. Finally earning an above .500 record on the season, the team contributes much of its recent success to the growing cohesion of the team as they get used to playing together.  

FIGURING IT OUT

After winning the first game of the season and tying the second, the team went on a four game losing streak. This led many to question the ability of this year’s roster versus last year’s team that finished the season 36-20, took second in the Golden State Athletic Conference Tournament and made it to the opening round of nationals.

“I think we’re just learning how to work together,” said Iliana Morales, senior utility player . “It’s different when it’s a bunch of new girls that have come onto the team. We have more new girls than returners, so it’s just kind of learning how to play together and I think it just took a couple of games to figure it out.”  

RECENT SUCCESS

The most recent string of success was winning three of four games in the NAIA SoCal Classic tournament. The first game of the tournament was against Southern Oregon University. After tying the game in the seventh inning on a sacrifice fly by senior third baseman Heather Hall, the Hawks finished the game with a run in the eighth. The Eagles lost 2-3.

Biola overcome the disappointment of losing the first game of the tournament and won out the remainder of the weekend. The second game was against Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. The Eagles won in a similar fashion to how they lost the previous game. Freshman shortstop Andi Hormel hit a double in the last half inning of the game, driving her sister, junior outfielder Kasey Hormel, home. Biola won by a score of 3-2.  

The next game of the tournament was against the Goshen College Maple Leafs. Hall opened the game by hitting a two-run home run, giving the Eagles a 2-1 lead after the first. Biola added to its lead in the third inning when sophomore first baseman Selina Sherlin opened the inning with a double and was brought home by sophomore Anji Amezquita’s triple. Morales brought Amezquita home on the next at-bat with a sacrifice fly. Biola won the game by a score of 4-1.

A SPECIFIC JOB

The final game of the tournament was against Carroll College. Just like their victory over Goshen College, Biola won the game with two, two-run innings. Hall hit a two-RBI single in the third inning to give Biola a 2-1 lead, and Biola earned two runs in the fifth off two separate errors by the Fighting Saints.

Andi attributed much of the recent success to head coach Lorie Coleman’s emphasis on individual roles.

“Each person has something they bring to the table,” Andi said. “And she [coach Coleman] just wants to make sure that each of us has that ability to participate in that game and bring that to the game. Each person in the lineup has a specific job to do.”  

Biola now holds a season record of 6-5-1. Their next game is a double-header against the University of Antelope Valley on Feb. 26. The Pioneers currently hold a season record of 1-12.