Positive performance at Pomona-Pitzer

Biola track and field had seven new qualifiers for nationals and broke two school records in Pomona-Pitzer meet.

+Junior+Taylor+McCahon+%28left%29+finished+fifth+and+senior+Lauren+Houck+%28right%29+finished+third+in+the+100-meter+hurdles.+Courtesy+%7C+Brad+Elliott+%5BWestmont+College%5D

Junior Taylor McCahon (left) finished fifth and senior Lauren Houck (right) finished third in the 100-meter hurdles. Courtesy | Brad Elliott [Westmont College]

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The Eagles track and field team had one final opportunity to qualify for the NAIA Indoor Championships occurring in Tennessee on March 3-5. Seven Eagles made the cut, breaking two school records in the process.. All this happened at the Pomona-Pitzer All-Comers meet on Sat. Feb 21, in which the men and women competed in 18 events each.

The men and women split breaking the school records, with senior Anika Gasner doing the honors for the women. She beat her own record in the mile, finishing the race with a time of 4:55 and a first place overall finish in the event, beating out the second place finisher by 22-tenths of a second. Sophomore Wes Noyes broke the other school record, in the men’s 1,000m run, finishing the race in 2:31 as well as ending up in third place.

There were a number of other significant finishes on the day, such as senior Elyse Harabedian, who finished third in women’s high jump, securing her a trip to Tennessee for nationals. Sophomore Lyndee Dawson also qualified for nationals with her eighth place finish in the women’s mile run with a time of 5:03. Senior Alisa Murray was one of the new qualifiers, as her third place finish in the 1,000m with a time of 3:01 was good enough for a ‘B’ qualification. Sophomore Ambernicole Hollinger did not qualify, but did break her personal best in the hammer throw, finishing seventh on the day with a throw of 37.38m.

In the men’s 1,000m, Noyes was joined in the top-16 by freshman Aditya Lal and sophomore Timmy Wilson. This was Lal’s first time running the 1,000m, and he finished in 11th with a time of 2:34. Wilson set a new personal record, finishing in 16th with a time of 2:36.

The Eagles have one more meet, the Rossi Relays in Claremont, CA on Feb 27, before Head Coach Sean Henning will be taking his national qualifiers to Tennessee.