Eagles win inside the park

With a four-run ninth inning rally, the Eagles beat the Yotes with a walk-off inside the park grand slam.

Many Biolans are finding ways to minister through their major.

Keaton Moore, Writer

In an exciting game against the College of Idaho, the Eagles scored four runs in the ninth inning. Biola managed to come back from a three run deficit and beat the Yotes 5-4.

The game remained scoreless through the first two innings, both teams having only two hits. With sophomore starting pitcher Micah Beyer on the mound, the Yotes took a 0-3 lead in the top of the third with two bases loaded walks and a fielding error. The Eagles were still scoreless when the Yotes hit a seventh inning home run, bolstering their lead to 0-4.

Besides a rough third inning and the home run, Beyer pitched a solid outing for the Eagles, keeping the Yotes to four runs, nine hits and had five strikeouts. He was relieved by sophomore right-handed pitcher Daniel Jang after the eighth inning and he pitched the rest of the game, allowing only one hit through two innings.

The Eagles answered the Yotes’ homerun with their first run of the game in the bottom of the seventh inning. With senior leftfielder Aaron Chavez at third, freshman centerfielder Jerron Largusa hit an RBI double, cutting the Yotes lead to three-runs.

The score remained 1-4 into the ninth inning. The Eagles kicked off the inning with a strikeout, but loaded the bases with two walks and a single, setting up junior first baseman Jimmy Gallarda with a chance to win the game.

Gallarda stepped up to the plate with two outs and the bases loaded. He hit a shot into the outfield which split the right and centerfielder. Due to a miscommunication between the outfielders, all of the base runners scored and tied the game 4-4.

As Gallarda slid into third, the throw to the Yotes third baseman was high, allowing Gallarda to run home as he completed a walk-off inside the park grand slam. Jang received the win and the Eagles snapped their four-game losing streak.

The Eagles’ next game will be against Bethesda University on Saturday, Feb. 20 at 2:00 p.m.