Eagles lose two GSAC matchups

As the season winds down, the women’s basketball team loses two in a row and drop to 6-8 in GSAC.

| Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

Keaton Moore, Writer

Over the last week, the Biola women’s basketball team travelled to Santa Barbara and Phoenix to take the court against Westmont College Warriors and the Arizona Christian University Firestorm. With two more Golden State Athletic Conference matchups left in the season, the Eagles dropped to a 6-8 conference record after a string of two close games.

The match against the Warriors stayed neck-and-neck through the first three quarters, the lead changing seven times through the entire game. However, the Eagles could not hold on to their two-point lead going into the fourth quarter and lost the match 52-60. In an offensive burst, the Warriors fought back in the last quarter of the game, outscoring the Eagles by seven.

HOPING TO BOUNCE BACK

Both teams were able to keep their opponents in check throughout the game. Biola was held to shooting 36.5 percent of their field goals and the only Eagle to score double digit points was sophomore guard DeMoria White, who ended the match with 16 points.

Hoping to bounce back from their eight-point loss to Westmont, the Warriors travelled to the desert to take on Arizona Christian University and took an early 13-8 lead in the first quarter. They kept their lead by the time the halftime buzzer rang and led the Warriors 27-22.

They kept even with the Firestorm, both teams scoring 20 points in the fourth quarter, but Arizona Christian University began to come back. Scoring only nine points in the fourth quarter, the Firestorm caught up with 18 points and took the game 55-60.

CONSECUTIVE LOSES

Senior forward Taylor Casey, along with sophomore guard Danielle Kennedy were the two Eagles to score over 10 points in the game, the former making 13 and the latter scoring 12.

With their two consecutive losses, the Eagles are now 13-15 on the season. Their 6-8 conference record places them fourth in their conference, behind Vanguard, The Master’s College and Westmont.

Through the 27 games she has started, White leads the Eagles offense with 495 points and 69 steals. Freshman forward Sara Dougan, who has played in 27 games, has accumulated 59 blocks, leading the Eagles.

CONTINUING MATCHUP

With only two more games left in the season, the Eagles continue their GSAC matchups with a game against Menlo College  on Feb. 20 at 2 p.m.