Eagles struggle at the plate

Softball extends its losing streak to four games as they struggled against Azusa Pacific.

Biola men’s lacrosse began their season today, losing to Claremont at an away game, 17-4.

Jack Finck, Writer

Azusa Pacific University spoiled the Biola softball team’s home opener on Feb. 12 by beating the Eagles in both games of the double-header. These two loses extend Biola’s losing streak to four games as they open the season with only one win, four losses and a tie. 

The Eagles started the double header by scoring their first and only run of the day. Senior third baseman Heather Hall hit a double when the Eagles had two outs. Sophomore first baseman Selina Sherlin followed with a single to left field, bringing Hall home.

Azusa tied the score in the fourth off a sacrifice fly, and secured the game by scoring five additional runs in the sixth inning. Biola lost by a final score of 1-6.

The Cougars took the lead early in the second game and kept it throughout the whole game. An error by the Eagles in the first inning gave Azusa a 1-0 advantage, which was pushed to 4-0 after the fourth inning. Biola continued to struggle from the batter’s box and the Cougars took advantage, stretching their lead to 8-0 before the game finished.

Biola’s 1-4-1 start is the worst since the team’s 1-6 start in 2012. While much worse than the team’s seven game winning streak to start the season last year, the Eagles’ record can in part be explained by the difficult competition of NCAA division II Azusa Pacific and the division III Whittier College Poets. 

The Eagles will try to improve on their record in their next game against Holy Names University at Freedom Field on Feb. 13. This will be a good test for the Eagles as the Hawks are in the Pacific West Conference in division II, the same conference Biola would be placed in if accepted into the NCAA.