Regular season ends familiarly

Volleyball ends regular season with a sweep of Life Pacific.

Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The Eagles volleyball team has officially ended their regular season. Their match against Life Pacific College Warriors ended with a sweep, a theme for how they won 20 of their 29 matches this season. The Eagles’ record now stands at 26-3 entering the postseason, a standing good enough to give them a No. 5 ranking in the national polls.

SOLID PLAY

The Eagles played very solid throughout the match. They had an excellent offensive performance, getting 42 kills with only 10 errors for a kill percentage of .416, their second highest on the season, trailing only their .456 kill percentage against Arizona Christian  University on Sept. 11. Life Pacific had a rough night offensively, getting only 15 kills while making 23 errors for a -.098 kill percentage.

Senior middle blocker Alyssa Mason and senior outside hitter Joclyn Kirton each got eight kills to lead the Biola offense, and a total of six Eagles hitters with four or more kills got a kill percentage of .500 or better. Freshman opposite Stephanie Jewett put up a very impressive kill percentage of .667 based on her six kills, zero errors and nine attempts.

In addition to the kills, the Eagles got seven aces on the evening, with senior setter Ashton Arbuthnot and freshman setter Becca Branch getting two each. On the defensive side of the net, sophomore middle blocker Ally Forsberg led Biola with three blocks.

NEVER IN QUESTION

This game was really never in question for the Eagles, but a few days after the match, the Golden State Athletic Conference released some exciting news. Four Biola players made it onto the All-GSAC team, marking the fourth straight year Biola has had four or more representatives on the team. Mason, Kirton, freshman Christian DenBoer and senior Britta Blaser were the Biola players honored this year. This is the third time Mason and Kirton have made the team, while it is a first for Blaser and DenBoer.

Mason was honored because of her nation-leading kill percentage at .465, as well as her 257 kills and 97 blocks for the season. Kirton led Biola in kills this season, tallying 310. She also had a solid .340 kill percentage. Blaser’s contribution to the team came in the form of 243 kills and 60 blocks. DenBoer, one of only three freshmen to make it onto the All-GSAC team, certainly made her mark on Biola’s season, getting 195 kills in her 27 sets played.

A FIRST ROUND BYE

The Eagles next play in the NAIA National Championship Tournament in Sioux City, Iowa on Dec. 1-3. They have earned themselves a first round bye and will travel directly to Iowa for pool play. Their match-up will be decided this weekend, as the first round teams are all playing on Nov. 21.